Post Likes

Is a used condenser a good idea?

When I purchased my home 5 years ago, I had a new Lennox gas furnace installed. (This home never had ac.) At that time I considered ac, but it was too cost prohibitive, so the contractor recommended installing a coil in the duct which could be connected later. He sized and installed a 3 ton Summit Manufacturing evap coil which is still factory sealed.

I recently obtained a 10 year old Rudd 2.5 ton condenser from a friend that was professionally removed and stored about a year and a half ago. (He had a heat pump installed.) The ends were crimped tight and both valves are closed, so I have reason to believe the unit is well sealed. I would like to have this unit and a lineset installed, but my biggest concern would be contaminating the new lineset and the evap coil from a dirty old condenser. Also, I would be using a 2.5 ton condenser with a 3 ton coil.

One local contractor I spoke with said that the difference in tonnage is not a big deal as the coil is larger than the condenser. The other way around would be a problem.

I can afford the cost associated with the electrical service, lineset and service, but the cost of a new condenser is not in the budget this year. Of course, I would not hold any installation contractor responsible for performance with a used unit and I would be happy if I got one or two seasons out of it, but am I nuts to consider using this unit? Is there a way for a contractor to check out this unit before I have it hooked up to a new lineset and coil?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

North Carolina
    Post Likes
    If you don't mind gambling and realize the installer has very little control over the outcome go for it. Your brand new 5 year old evaporator coil is useless with a new system anyhow. A new condensor would need a 13 seer coil so you really don't have that much to lose. JMO

Post Likes
    Well, if the compressor dies 2 days after you have it installed. You still have a great converstion starter.
    Contractor locator map

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?