Is there a good reason to install kickstart

I have a 1 year old Goodman heat pump GSH14-060. It has the Copeland scroll. It does not have a start capacitor nor relay installed and the instructions say that it is optional. Should I have my installer add a hard start kit? I am not having any issues other than at times the lights dim slightly at startup.

May or may not help the dimming lights. Wire to unit could be too small. What did the installer say about it?

Quote Originally Posted by edwardrroonney View Post
    I have a 1 year old Goodman heat pump GSH14-060. It has the Copeland scroll. It does not have a start capacitor nor relay installed and the instructions say that it is optional. Should I have my installer add a hard start kit? I am not having any issues other than at times the lights dim slightly at startup.
    Per Goodman's Installation Manual for the condensing unit, page 7 at the bottom:

"NOTICE: Units with reciprocating compressors and non-bleed TXV's require a hard start kit".

The 14 SEER has a scroll compressor as you have stated. Do you have a TXV (thermostatic expansion valve) installed at the air handler? You can't miss it if you do because it sticks out of the air handler is wrapped like a beer can cooler.

With that said, I have a hard start cap on my 14 SEER Goodman condenser and the indoor coil does have a TXV.

The hard start cap should help with the lights flickering at start-up.

Good luck.