Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 30
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The dirt is from when it being used, not just during the off season.
    Frankly our laneway is like a wind tunnel...tons of leaves, loose paper, dirt, etc. etc...far dirtier than his open ended driveway.

    Bottom line: you have proven my point: there is no good reason not to put it in/around his driveway.

    Thank you.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,677
    The newer condensing units (cooling only) are very quiet, a heat pump will make some noises you may be annoyed by, so I would see a reason to not want one between the houses. But straight cool units will not be an issue, But say a Trane 15i or 16i the footprint of the pad is roughly 3 feet, keep the condenser 12" from the wall, that is 4' if there is any easement for mechanical equipment, he would need your permission to be that close, if not there is not much you can do about it except ask nicely that you would want him to put it somewhere in his backyard instead.
    You can't fix stupid

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by small change View Post
    You have been given some good advice
    Agreed.

    Call your local building department and ask about permits for new a/c units being installed. Also ask about what kind of setback from the property line is required and then nicely talk to the building inspector about the issue.
    Absolutely the thing I need to do next. No sense guessing about what our local laws are.

    Talking to your neighbor in a civil manner would be good also and share your concerns with him. Maybe offer him a beer the next time he is out cutting the grass and approach him then.
    The guy just moved in last fall and is from Iran (not used to the snow). We had a brutal winter in terms of amount of snowfall so I must have cleared out his driveway and sidewalk at least a dozen times this season with my snowblower (he doesn't have one). I think that qualifies me as a reasonably decent neighbor! I'm certainly not looking to be a bad guy here so I will do all I can to be civil and approach him as such. (fingers crossed).

    Thanks for your kind reply

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,125
    No, you are the acting like one.
    You came here without talking to your neighbor hoping to find a legal reason to stop him. Without having talked to him. You are the one not being considerate.
    You will look for any excuse or reason that have thing your way.

    By your post, you have your mind set against where it is planned to be installed. And are going to be against it no matter what. He may have plans for renovations on teh other side of his house that prevents it from being installed there.
    but you don't want to talk to him about it, you just want a way to stop him.
    And it may be that the only reason he is installing it there is because his contractor suggested it. But your too busy finding ways to stop him to nicely ask him.

    Your the kind of neighbor that knows what everyone else is doing.


    And my grass is too wet to cut at 6:00 AM. I prefer 10:00 AM.
    And for some reason or other, my neighbors seem to like me when ever they have an electrical or HVAC problem weather I cut my grass the same time they do or not.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,125
    Quote Originally Posted by belljam View Post
    Frankly our laneway is like a wind tunnel...tons of leaves, loose paper, dirt, etc. etc...far dirtier than his open ended driveway.

    Bottom line: you have proven my point: there is no good reason not to put it in/around his driveway.

    Thank you.
    no good reason to put it there, you have proved my point.

    I feel sorry for your new neighbor.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    The newer condensing units (cooling only) are very quiet, a heat pump will make some noises you may be annoyed by, so I would see a reason to not want one between the houses. But straight cool units will not be an issue, But say a Trane 15i or 16i the footprint of the pad is roughly 3 feet, keep the condenser 12" from the wall, that is 4' if there is any easement for mechanical equipment, he would need your permission to be that close, if not there is not much you can do about it except ask nicely that you would want him to put it somewhere in his backyard instead.
    Another great reply!

    I believe it will be a cooling only unit so that great news about it being quiet if it ultimately has to be installed in the laneway. I really have to get our local bylaws straight so I know all the facts before I approach him with my suggestions.

    Thanks again for your post.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    no good reason to put it there, you have proved my point.

    I feel sorry for your new neighbor.
    Please stop responding to my threads/posts. I know you're position. Move along. (man..you must live on this forum.....you know there is life outside of your parent's basement).

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,125
    Quote Originally Posted by belljam View Post
    Please stop responding to my threads/posts. I know you're position. Move along. (man..you must live on this forum.....you know there is life outside of your parent's basement).
    Both my parents have passed away a long time ago. but thank you for your concern for them.

    You continue to prove my point.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Both my parents have passed away a long time ago. but thank you for your concern for them.
    And yet you still continue to live in their basement??

    Boo-hoo. So are mine...I'm sure you care about as much as I do about yours.

    I doubt they are (typical cheap response by folks like you) but if so they are the lucky ones as they don't have to deal with you anymore.

    (oh...and I'm sure if you weren't an HVAC guy, your neighbors would tell you where to go! i.e. don't think for a minute they actually like you!)

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dallas & Longview, TX
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by belljam View Post
    Please stop responding to my threads/posts. I know you're position. Move along. (man..you must live on this forum.....you know there is life outside of your parent's basement).
    You come on this forum asking for advice and wind up trashing one of the most knowlegable and helpful people on here. Everyone has hobbies and his is helping others with his expertise.

    I would never have bought a house only 8' from the house next door. You will have issues like you have. If you can't afford a nicer lot then you can't gripe about the problems with it. Move to the country. You could put up a fence and wall yourself off. Think before you make another purchase would be good advice also.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,125
    (oh...and I'm sure if you weren't an HVAC guy, your neighbors would tell you where to go! i.e. don't think for a minute they actually like you!)

    LOL...

    If I could hide what I do from them, I would. Then I wouldn't get asked to fix or install things for peanuts.

    You still prove my point. Your like a 5 year old that doesn't want to share his toys.
    And then try to insult me to prove your point.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,125
    And, sorry about your lost, you may have been very close to your parents. And I know how a lost like that can feel.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    You come on this forum asking for advice and wind up trashing one of the most knowlegable and helpful people on here.
    I came here asking for advice...not smart-ass answers with attitude. I didn't toss the first stone and will pay no respect unless it is given.

    Everyone has hobbies and his is helping others with his expertise.
    How sad is it that someone sits at their computer all bloody day? You can pretty it up all you want but for most it's called not having a life. I sure won't be advising my children to spend their adult lives sitting in the basement posting on forums all day. Would you?

    I would never have bought a house only 8' from the house next door. You will have issues like you have. If you can't afford a nicer lot then you can't gripe about the problems with it. Move to the country. You could put up a fence and wall yourself off. Think before you make another purchase would be good advice also.
    As I said above (and I say it again, R-E-A-L S-L-O-W for ya)...I came here looking for advice not to gripe. As is often the case with forums like these, unless you kiss butt and pay homage to those that spend all their time here, you get trashed. Consider your lips well planted on his behind.

    Unless you have something useful to add go away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event