Advice needed for new heat pump choice

Hi everyone

My heat pump just expired, and I received a couple options for a replacement. I need some advice on which option to choose (based on specifications, not price). I have a 2000 sq ft townhouse (location Lancaster PA) that will need to be heated/cooled on two floors. The options I received are:

2.5 ton Trane XB-13. 13 SEER with R-22 coolant
    2.5 ton Trane XR-14. 14 SEER with R-410 coolant
    2.5 ton Trane XL14i. 15 SEER with R-410 coolant

First, is 2.5 ton appropriate for my house? My existing unit is 21 years old and the tags faded, so the contractor couldn’t tell for sure if the unit was 2.5tons (maybe I need a new contractor ).

Second, I read on here that R-22 will no longer be manufactured in 2010. So I take that to mean that the XB-13 would not be a good choice. Is this correct?

Third, the info (pricing sheet of the contractor) I received stated that the XR-14 had a variable blower, while the XL14i had a variable speed blower. Is this difference worth the price increase?

Finally, is Trane a reliable brand? It is the main brand offered by this contractor. I believe they also have Amana.

I’ll admit I’m a moron when it comes to this stuff, so any help is greatly appreciated. If you need any more info from me, please let me know. Since my pump is dead, I would like to make a decision soon (ideally Wed 8/13).

Hey hows it going. To answer your first question there are alot of factors that determine the right size equipment for your home (house placment, windows [insulative value of windows], How well the house is insulated, etc. you get my drift? If you're not sure or have a major improvments made to the home you might want to have another load calc done, it will cost you some bucks up front but could save you money and headache in the long run. Secondly, you would be smart to go with r410a refrierant for a couple of reasons. First of all its going to lower your operating costs over time as the cost of R-22 has already doubled in the last 2 years and secondly as you stated with the phaseout it will be increasingly more difficult to find parts for freon based systems. As to your equipment selection, I work for a Carrier Authorized dealer and therefore am most familiar and most confident in their equipment. Carriers Infinity Heat Pump systems is a beautiful amagamation of comfort and efficiency, I'd highly suggest you look into it. Lastly, variable speed blower and variable blower as far as I know are synonomous. As long as your ductwork will support it the variable speed (or ECM) motor is a wise choice. First you'll enjoy greater dehumidification in cooling. Secondly greater efficiency ratings will be achieved. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Econman View Post
    First, is 2.5 ton appropriate for my house? My existing unit is 21 years old and the tags faded, so the contractor couldn’t tell for sure if the unit was 2.5tons (maybe I need a new contractor ). ).
    You should ask how them determined your heating and cooling need then? If they didn't run a manual j then find someone that will.

Second, I read on here that R-22 will no longer be manufactured in 2010. So I take that to mean that the XB-13 would not be a good choice. Is this correct?
    While the industry is investing heavily in R-410, it is not entirely clear what the future will hold for R-22. I've read that the fine print in the law simply prohibits systems from being shipped from the factor precharged with R-22.

Finally, is Trane a reliable brand? It is the main brand offered by this contractor. I believe they also have Amana.
    The general concensus is that a quality installation trumps perceived brand reliability any day.