Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. Leak Detector
    2. Acetylene torch kit with tank and 3 tip sizes
    3. Spare Nitrogen Tank
    4. Blower and Pulley pullers
    5. Calking Gun
    6. Refrigeration Scale
    7. Refrigeration Oil Pump

Caulking gun is like $5 so thats no big deal to me, the rest seems like bs tho. Id put riveter on that list too as something you shouldnt need to supply, for the most part you can use self tappers instead of it.

I agree with everyone else, sounds like BS.

Godforbid you van was stolen and youd lose the better part of 5-6K worth of tools!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg414 View Post
    Hey guys.
    I wanted to bring this question up.
    The question is, What tools should be supplied by the Company and/or by the service tech?

I recently started a new job doing service and maintenance with a Van. About a month later I was given a list of:
    A: Tools supplied by Company
    B: Tools supplied by Service Tech.
    I'm scratching my head thinking if this right or wrong because some of these tools they want me to buy are not exactly "hand tools". I will never use these tools outside of work. Well unless i do some blue-mooning, but you get my drift.

This is the List they gave me:

Service Tec Tool List
    Technician Supplied Tools

Refrigeration Tools
    1. Refrigeration Scale
    2. Flare & Swage Kit
    3. Service Wrench
    4. Fin Comb
    5. Inspection Mirror
    6. R-410a Gauges
    7. R-22 Gauges
    8. Refrigeration Oil Pump

Plumbing Tools
    1. Midget tubing cutters
    2. Tubing cutters up to 2 inch
    3. Tubing benders 1/4" - 3/8"
    4. Acetylene torch kit with tank and 3 tip sizes
    5. Spare Nitrogen Tank
    6. Pipe Wrenches
    a. 12 inch
    b. 18 inch
    c. 24 inch
    7. Hacksaw
    8. PVC Cutter

Hand Tools
    1. Allen Hex wrenches
    2. Screw Driver set
    3. Complete Nut Driver set
    4. Combination box and open end wrenches
    5. Small socket wrench kit
    6. Adjustable wrenches
    7. Channel Locks
    8. Needle nose Pliers
    9. Locking Pliers
    10. Flat file
    11. Utility Knife
    12. Hammer
    13. Riveter
    14. Blower Wheel Puller
    15. Pulley Puller
    16. Torpedo Level
    17. Measuring tape
    18. 2 Flashlights (1 spare)
    19. Hole saw Kit
    20. Drill bit Set
    21. Drill nut driver
    22. Calking Gun

Electrical Tools
    1. Linesman Pliers
    2. Wire Crimpers
    3. Diagonal Cutters
    4. Wire Strippers
    5. Wire Stapler
    6. Snake
    Sheet Metal Tools
    1. Crimpers
    2. Snips
    3. Hand Seamers
    4. P-35 Stapler

Test Tools
    1. Leak Detector
    2. Electrical test meter
    3. Digital Thermometer
    4. Clamp on Amp meter
    5. Monometer

Power Tools
    1. Cordless Drill
    2. Corded Drill 1/2" 3. Saws all

Comments? suggestions?

Seems to me they are expecting a lot from you, the ones in bold face they should supply for sure. As for the others a guy coming to them from another company will most likely have. Do they have a tool allotment set up or will they allow you to buy some stuff on their accounts and take a little at a time out of your check. I would allow my guys to buy whatever tool (within reason) they needed to get the job done. After that it usually stayed with them or if it was a tool that would not see much use it would be in the shop. Anything that needs power, drills, saws should be supplied. I am generous with tools, well I'll admit a happy worker is a good worker, I try to keep them happy. On the flip side some employees could care less, they don't take care of the tools they own or you provide.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Highlighted tools

I think the corless dirll and cordless sawsall are just things I would want to own to use in my own home. I like Ryobi. I agree with others that if it breaks they should replace it and of course when the batteries wear out and they do they should buy them. Torch set and spare nitrogen tank is on them too. Would it be nice to have these things of you own? Of course! It is a matter of what you can afford right now.

Service techs supply everything except nitro tanks, mc, b, and recovery tanks, everything else is yours, I wouldn't have it any other way. We are not a small company, we've got 50+ service techs and maybe 150 installers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Service techs supply everything except nitro tanks, mc, b, and recovery tanks, everything else is yours, I wouldn't have it any other way. We are not a small company, we've got 50+ service techs and maybe 150 installers.
    So then when you charge the customer for the use of the reclaim machine, or the vacuum pump then the tech should get the money? Since it is his own piece of equipment.

No tanks, reclaim machines, vacuum pumps, oxygen acetylene, garden hoses, sprayers or special tools should be supplied by the the employee! I have some of these items myself, but will not use them for any company I've worked for. I do use my own scale, meters, and if it is damaged on the job the company will repair them!

Talking

i agree. But if they want you to supply everything are they paying you more ? IMO if they are u should consider yourself even and look at this has a steping stone to going on your own if you want

by the way are u hiring

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......WOOOOOOHHH.. ....YOU ARE FUNNY!!!
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

I talked to my Service manager today. After showing him a quote for $1,300 on just the questionable Company/Tech supplied tools

He decided to remove the...
    Refrigeration Oil Pump ~ $80
    Acetylene torch kit with tank and 3 tip sizes ~$100(tank only)
    Spare Nitrogen Tank ~ $130

He also stuck to his ground and will not remove...
    Leak Detector (all refrigerants) ~ $359 new
    Refrigeration Scale ~ $194 new

He also mentioned I do NOT need these ASAP. I can work with the company and gather these tools over time, and even use their "tool payment plan" to help pay them off. He also mentioned the tools will be covered by the company if they break or wear out.
    I'm still not happy about this, but then again I will have my own personal tools.

Maybe things will turn out for the best. I can always change companies if things go south.

Quote Originally Posted by cjcargo View Post
    So then when you charge the customer for the use of the reclaim machine, or the vacuum pump then the tech should get the money? Since it is his own piece of equipment.

No tanks, reclaim machines, vacuum pumps, oxygen acetylene, garden hoses, sprayers or special tools should be supplied by the the employee! I have some of these items myself, but will not use them for any company I've worked for. I do use my own scale, meters, and if it is damaged on the job the company will repair them!
    They pay us pretty well, and on top of our hourly we get commish on every repair, and job sold.Service techs sell jobs here, we don't call out a salesman, we have everything we need for that. They dont expect new techs to have everything because all they are doing is c/c's.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotlight View Post
    i agree. But if they want you to supply everything are they paying you more ? IMO if they are u should consider yourself even and look at this has a steping stone to going on your own if you want

by the way are u hiring
    They do pay more, I've tried my hand at doing my own thing, it was great for a while but the slow periods really got me, as well as all the low bidders that I couldn't compete with.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg414 View Post
    He also stuck to his ground and will not remove...
    Leak Detector (all refrigerants) ~ $359 new
    Refrigeration Scale ~ $194 new
    Ebay is your friend. I snagged a nice yokogawa h-10pm for $52 ($89 with shipping) the other day. You dont need the stuff right away so take your time and monitor the auctions. Scales on the other hand there doesnt seem to be a huge discount on ebay unless you want the tif scale, for those check out the specials at the supply houses. You should be able to get one of those for $150 or so.

Also check out the local pawn shops, sometimes you can get a bargain in there.

Ebay prices and shipping

You can find some wonderful deals on Ebay like Schoonen has said but you have to look and be careful. The little stuff just get it at your local supplier or Lowes or HD. Example a Klein 10-1 is $10.97 at my local Lowes and on Ebay they want $12+ and then shipping and handling on top of that for the same item. Also watch for that little print "as is" disclaimer. That sucker will get you if you are not careful

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast