Thread: Replacing very old system

Post Likes

Replacing very old system

My in-laws have a system, not sure what it is as it is so old that the nameplate is not easily made out.

I can make our this:
    REAB-Y4150

I'm assuming it is a Rheem. Don't know capacity or anything else.

Can someone help out?
    I need this info to get a replacement system that matches or beats this one as their electric bills are sky high because of this.

Can you recommend a replacement system for a 900-1000sqft (single story, not well insulated, built in 1954) house? I'd prefer
    a unit that we can install in the attic space.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MB34 View Post
    My in-laws have a system, not sure what it is as it is so old that the nameplate is not easily made out.

I can make our this:
    REAB-Y4150

I'm assuming it is a Rheem. Don't know capacity or anything else.

Can someone help out?
    I need this info to get a replacement system that matches or beats this one as their electric bills are sky high because of this.

Can you recommend a replacement system for a 900-1000sqft (single story, not well insulated, built in 1954) house? I'd prefer
    a unit that we can install in the attic space.
    If it's that old, anything you get will beat it.

To determine what you need, a proper heat calculation should be done and the duct system evaluated.

AM

Post Likes
    The ducting will all be replaced. I also intend to redo the insulation in the attic.
    The walls cannot be insulated without replacing the siding or walls. Several
    windows leak and they are also going to be replaced.

Post Likes
    You can blow insulation into each stud space to insulate the walls but $$ vs. return may not be worth it. The attic is the best money spent and look at radiant barrier and good ventilation. As said before: Load calculation, ductwork sized and sealed and then any new unit will save you a ton of cash. Installing it in the attic isn't the most efficient place but may be the only place. Is there an alternate place for it in a closet of something?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    <SNIP>Installing it in the attic isn't the most efficient place but may be the only place. Is there an alternate place for it in a closet of something?
    We want to reclaim the space that it takes up now. It is in a storage/laundry area off the kitchen that is only accessible from the outside. We want to be able to take that out, then remodel the area to be an extension of the kitchen.
    Current layout:

new layout:
    Last edited by MB34; 05-21-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in