Thread: High Pitched Noise Coming From Exhaust Fan Wheel

Post Likes

High Pitched Noise Coming From Exhaust Fan Wheel

Hi All- I recently noticed a high pitched whistling noise from my furnace. It sounds like it's coming directly from the exhaust blower fan wheel. It only seems to make the noise during the last few minutes of the cycle and only lasts for about 30 seconds before stopping. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've replaced the filter, cleaned all of the vents, and even sprayed the outside of the fan wheel with WD-40. The brand is Bryant. Right now this issue is not affecting the furnace's heat performance. Any advice or suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    I would advise replacing the exhaust blower.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Is this a 90% furnace? (Is the exhaust blower housing plastic?). The plastic ones are notorious for wheels cracking and warping. They make a lot of noises before they shatter and jam up the motor.

If it's an 80% furnace (metal housing) they had issues with the heat exchanger cover gaskets drying out or being too wimpy to start with. This causes a high pitched buzzing noise like you get when you blow on a kazoo.
    "We always fix it right the second time".

All posts are strictly my opinions and not those of my employer. I cannot make statements on behalf of my employer.

All advice posted by me is for educational purposes only, HVAC repairs should only be conducted by trained & qualified people.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfamous View Post
    Is this a 90% furnace? (Is the exhaust blower housing plastic?). The plastic ones are notorious for wheels cracking and warping. They make a lot of noises before they shatter and jam up the motor.

If it's an 80% furnace (metal housing) they had issues with the heat exchanger cover gaskets drying out or being too wimpy to start with. This causes a high pitched buzzing noise like you get when you blow on a kazoo.
    I believe it is a 80% furnace. (Bryant model 310aav042090acja). The high pitched humming noise seems to be coming from/near the inducer cooling fan. It only seems to make the noise towards the end of the furnace cycle and not the whole time the cooling fan is spinning.

Post Likes
    Stop with the WD-40 or anything else flammable in that area.

There is nothing you can do yourself to remedy this, either learn to live with it or call a tech out to diagnose and proactively replace it. If the motor is failing a pressure switch will catch it the moment it stops spinning fast enough to vent the furnace. If the motor feels quite hot to the touch it's probably going.

I've got rag tag rattling inducer assemblies around here that have been soldiering on for years. Then again I just replaced one yesterday morning in Carrier's version of that very same furnace.

If it's getting up around twenty years old and the motor quits you might consider replacing the furnace if the blower, gas valve and circuit board are all original. The four of these components can damn near add up to the price of a new furnace.
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in