Which model on a budget

Newbie here, and I hope this is not considered pricing which the rules note as a no-no. I apologize in advance if it is considered so.

Anyways, my 15 year 3.5 ton Goodman AC unit has been dying a slow death. Over the past 5 years, I have had to replace the Air Handler; Wiring from the Air Handler to the outside AC unit; and the thermostat.

Well this year the AC quit blowing cold air. My friends brother who is a certified TRANE technician came out and using a multimeter found that the voltage was not right and concluded the compressor was shot.

So he asked what my budget was as he recommended not to replace the compressor and to instead replace BOTH the AC unit and the air handler.

I wont bore you with my money issues and lack of, but I said I cant swing more then $2,000.

He tells me then that replacing the compressor will be $1600 or replacing the AC unit with another Goodman will be $2300. This all includes labor.

So which should I do? How important is it to replace the air hander? its only three years old, And I paid about $2500 for that.

Again I really cant afford to spend much more then $2000.

Suggestion's appreciated. Flaming my post I can do without.

Thank you for your time.

Get several estimates. You might think about financing. Lots of companies have financing available. Better to get a good working system for a low monthly payment. Check out all contractors. Get references. Make the calls. You just might get exactly what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by billydove View Post
    ...I hope this is not considered pricing...
    I'm afraid so.

Yeah that was considered pricing, no good here!

Get a second opinion, if the AHU is only 3years old and rest of system is decent (lineset / rest of condensing unit) a compressor is probably all you need. It all depends
    Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!

It's important to make sure that the evaporator coil and metering device matches up properly with the outdoor unit.

The existing coil may or may not match up properly with a new condenser; connecting a 13+ SEER condenser to a coil designed for 10 SEER systems is a bad practice.

Hopefully the correct coil can be put into the existing air handler.

"Voltage might not be right = bad compressor" does not inspire confidence. I'm not a technician, but usually a compressor is condemned if...

1. It can't start even with a good run-capacitor and hardstart kit
    2. Start and run windings are damaged or shorted to ground (this is confirmed by checking the resistance of each winding)
    3. Compressor starts but draws too much current and trips the internal thermal protection, or runs but compression ratio is very poor.

*This doesn't cover every scenario - ex: bad valves*

Question How old is 15 years old? Most would say PAST Time

Anyways, my 15 year 3.5 ton Goodman AC unit has been dying a slow death.

So which should I do?
    If the case of a slow death, you should have a FAST Burial.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

If the air handler is only 4 years old, I would just change the line set, and condenser.
    Hopefully the ductwork is correct.
    As for only spending $2000 good luck. You pay peanuts you get MONKEYS !
    Just remeber the most important day of you AC system, is the day it is installed.
    Chris

How can it not be considered pricing when you post prices.
    Edit them out.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Hmm

Anyways, my 15 year 3.5 ton Goodman AC unit has been dying a slow death.

He tells me then that replacing the compressor will be $1600 or replacing the AC unit with another Goodman will be $2300. This all includes labor.

So which should I do? Again I really cant afford to spend much more then $2000.
    Your limited budget description sounds like a ' pay me now or pay me later ' scenario.

Try 1, 2 or 3 window units until your budget is increased.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

What is the air handler? May be matched if you go with same brand of outdoor unit.