Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by m-cooling View Post
    I would have turned the thermostat on and if it didnt start then go straight to the unit and troubleshoot....
    Exactly and when you got to the unit and found that you didn't have incomming voltage from the thermostat you just turned on......well.....you gotta go back up and check that stat....

.....this is one of the easiest fixes and quickest finds you will see.....
    .....well, next to the classic, "You mean I am supposed to change the filter?"
    I need a new signature.....

The home owner has A/C again, and for a lower price than expected . What did the tech do ? I sure don't know. But why call his company? This should be the end of the story.But , I bet it's not.I say we don't know the whole story , so don't knock the tech . Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    I sure don't know. But why call his company? This should be the end of the story.But , .
    Because he is obviously not satisfied.
    So instead of asking us what we think. He should call the company and discuss it with them.

Would you rather have a customer ask a bunch of guys on the internet what they think of something you may or may not have done.
    Or would you rather have that customer call you and talk about it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

amen.

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Yep....everytime I hear a homeowner say "Yeah, I put it in myself" I grab a 2 inch piece of thermostat wire, strip both ends and open up that stat....easy fix, takes 5 minutes and I still would have charged the same amount as your tech did for the relay....just so that you would learn your lesson!! Only, I wouldn't have lied to you about a bad relay which cannot be diagnosed without your stat wiring being correct and actually sending voltage to where it needed to go.
    Whereas you inherently want to do that, but chances are if you just charge him for the quick fix of rewiring it, and save him some $$ on things he doesnt need you might get a repeat coustomer. Maybe the guys that think like you dont always get the call backs.

Its not about teaching lessons, there will ALWAYS be do it yourselfers, and they will not put anyone out of business.

Maybe next time this guy need as t-stat he wont call a HVAC company but a handyman service for $50 or his brother in law knows a guy who does work on the side and he only charges $65. Maybe next time hell spend $20 at the book store and get an idiots gide to wiring t-stats.....

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Because he is obviously not satisfied.
    So instead of asking us what we think. He should call the company and discuss it with them.

Would you rather have a customer ask a bunch of guys on the internet what they think of something you may or may not have done.
    Or would you rather have that customer call you and talk about it.
    Guess I'm lucky. I don't have customers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherNJ View Post

Maybe next time this guy need as t-stat he wont call a HVAC company but a handyman service for $xx or his brother in law knows a guy who does work on the side and he only charges $xx. Maybe next time hel'l spend $xx at the book store and get an idiots gide to wiring t-stats.....

And maybe next time he'll burn up more stuff.

And maybe I'll win the lottery.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Guess I'm lucky. I don't have customers like this.
    I'm sure we can find some for you.
    Don't want you to feel left out.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherNJ View Post
    Its not about teaching lessons, there will ALWAYS be do it yourselfers, and they will not put anyone out of business.

Maybe next time this guy need as t-stat he wont call a HVAC company but a handyman service for $50 or his brother in law knows a guy who does work on the side and he only charges $65. Maybe next time hell spend $20 at the book store and get an idiots gide to wiring t-stats.....

You're right...maybe he will. OR maybe he will learn a valuable lesson and NOT call those people and call a true professional who is not only going to fix the problem correctly the first time, but also stand behind the work done! DIY'ers will always think they know more than we do....fact of the matter is they don't. they just end up paying more in the long run.
    I need a new signature.....

I'm sure we can find some for you.
    Don't want you to feel left out.
    Well, thank you sir.

And maybe next time he'll burn up more stuff.

This is why I would never discourage a do it yourselfer. Eventually their inexperience will adversely affect their project. In turn they will have to call someone to fix it (which will probally cost more then the original job!)

My point is, from a business standpoint, who will get the repeat work?
    -I doubt it the guy who makes his living teaching others a lesson.

This is a very valueable thread in my opinion. This guy feels that $200 for a relay that a few people here told him he most likely never needed, was a deal. And he is happy his house is now cool. But he was compelled enough to seek out this forum, sign up, and go though all this to see if he was treated fairly.

The respose of "ill still change you $200 bucks for something that takes 5 mins to fix" is what will drive coustomers to try to do things on their own, it will promote feelings of anxiety when they have to call the dreaded rip off contactor, they will have a general distrust for us and our industry. For example, I hate lawyers, b/c I feel ive been ripped off by them each time ive had to deal with them, and I know many other people who feel the same way. Recently I had to deal with a lawyer whom I felt was fair, and I recommend him to someone that could also use his service, and he used him, knowing that I think lawyers are the scum of the universe.

As a mostly service based industry, I believe you have to look at the big picture.

Which is why price discussions don't belong in the resi forum.
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12