Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please

Advice Please

Hello,
    I had an AC person come to my house to fix my AC. Here is the background: I installed a new thermostat this winter and the heat worked fine. When I went to turn on the AC it would not work. I told the AC guy that I was the one that had installed the thermostat. When he first arrived he looked at the thermostat but he did not open it up and look at the inside. He went back and forth from the thermostat to the furnace to the outside AC unit. He then told me that I needed a new relay switch which would total about $216.00 for parts and labor. I was expecting worse, but somewhat relieved since the cost was relatively low. So after he installs the relay switch he comes back into the house and then looks inside the thermostat and tells me that I have wired it incorrectly and he shows me the correctly wiring. He then correctly connects the wires. I didn't think about it until later, but shouldn't he have checked the wiring first? How did he know the relay switch was bad if the ac wasn't turning on in the first place? Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Looks like the money you saved on your T-Stat is going to go to the service company. Shouda , couda , wouda . Next time , call a pro first. And the tech probably could have done things differently but , didn't.

Would have been nice if he looked at the stat first.

Call that company up and ask them about it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

1) Sounds like you got ripped off, but we really cant say for sure b/c we dont have the invoice in front of us, and we cannot truely be sure he did not open it up...

2) Its never a good idea to watch over someones sholder when they work, many people dislike that, I understand its your home and all...

3) If you are planning on installing something by yourself, you should be fully aware of how it works, and the correct way of wiring it. We all like to do things on our own, but saving a little, sometimes you have to pay alot.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Would have been nice if he looked at the stat first.

Call that company up and ask them about it.

I agree with beenthere. If a homeowner tells me they installed it, the first thing I would do is check the wiring of the thermostat.

I'd check the filter next. Theres probably a brand new WEB to go with the new thermostat. Upgrading, you know.

Yep....everytime I hear a homeowner say "Yeah, I put it in myself" I grab a 2 inch piece of thermostat wire, strip both ends and open up that stat....easy fix, takes 5 minutes and I still would have charged the same amount as your tech did for the relay....just so that you would learn your lesson!! Only, I wouldn't have lied to you about a bad relay which cannot be diagnosed without your stat wiring being correct and actually sending voltage to where it needed to go.
    I need a new signature.....

you don't know what the tech did down at the furnace,he could of checked operation at the furnaceby jumping the terminals at the board.next time just call a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by indianajones View Post
    you don't know what the tech did down at the furnace,he could of checked operation at the furnaceby jumping the terminals at the board.next time just call a pro.
    Yeah I guess......but why??? He did absolutely nothing to solve the problem....had he tuned on the stat....checked voltage at the unit........ummmmmm....case closed.
    I need a new signature.....

we really don,t know.the HO should of called a pro to change the stat.

Damage done, lesson learned.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yes, he should have.

the point i was trying to make was we can,t tell what the tech did or did not do.i would of checked the wiring at the stat as soon as he told me he installed it.the HO should of callled a reliable co.and if he has issues with what the tech did he should call yhe co.

I would have turned the thermostat on and if it didnt start then go straight to the unit and troubleshoot with that wire out of the picture.I Might or might not have opened the thermostat and checked the wiring first.you can find out what you need at the unit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast