Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    [QUOTE=bernler;1864267]

I told the Trane guy my quote from the other contractor (i lowered it by $400 from actual number). QUOTE]

Nice! If the Trane contractor loses the job he still wins in my opinion.

Homeowners want and expect honest contractors and contractors want and expect honest homeowners.

It goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhvac View Post
    Homeowners want and expect honest contractors and contractors want and expect honest homeowners.

It goes both ways.
    Now that's funny. Contractors want honest homeowners, LOL.

[QUOTE=m kilgore;1865402]
    Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    Everyone pads their price to make a profit.

You started the padding price thing. It is obvious you know little about business and business terminology. Nuff said.
    I know plenty about business. Everyone's price is padded. Maybe I missed the class on proper terminology for making profits.

Think the Xl19i or 19 Seer and above will get you about $1700 rebate from FPL.

i think its $1000 but i will check.

Just as an update the first lennox firm called me to see what was up. I asked about the labor warranty which was only given for 2 years. They quickly said they could do 10 years for no additional cost. All this does is proves to me you need to play the game to get to a fair price. I do not know about the rest of the country but here in florida there is clear reason to think the contractors pad their first price. Sarasota is an upscale community of many retirees who do not shop around. Contractors have been trained to take advantage of that.

Quote Originally Posted by bernler View Post
    i think its $1000 but i will check.

Just as an update the first lennox firm called me to see what was up. I asked about the labor warranty which was only given for 2 years. They quickly said they could do 10 years for no additional cost. All this does is proves to me you need to play the game to get to a fair price. I do not know about the rest of the country but here in florida there is clear reason to think the contractors pad their first price. Sarasota is an upscale community of many retirees who do not shop around. Contractors have been trained to take advantage of that.
    Exactly, it happens everywhere. The cost of every service is negotiable, if you need work, you'll bump down on your price.

When you get the price bumped down. You have to wonder what corner they are going to cut.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    When you get the price bumped down. You have to wonder what corner they are going to cut.
    My boss doesn't pad his estimates to make excess profit. If he comes down on price he loses money. He only does it in slow times when we need the work. He gives the most detailed estimates around here, so customers have a pretty good idea why his price is what it is. This attitude some have on here that a contractor shouldn't budge off his original quote is ridiculous, IMO. Usually, he'll only budge a little, and usually his quote is still higher than the other guys after he bumps it down, but sometimes customers just feel better if they can get the price down even a few bucks. What's the harm in that? When you got hacks selling Goodmans for peanuts, sometimes you have to bump down just a bit to convince the customer to go with you.

Unless you know all of your bosses cost you don't know what he does.

Its time this thread is either closed or moved. Too much price talk.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Unless you know all of your bosses cost you don't know what he does.

Its time this thread is either closed or moved. Too much price talk.
    I know the costs. I help figure the estimates.

FPL rebate
    Going from a 10 SEER to 19 SEER 3ton = $1005 rebate
    Going from a 10 SEER to 19 SEER 5ton = $1705 rebate

Going from a 10 SEER to 16 SEER 3ton = $585 rebate
    Going from a 10 SEER to 16 SEER 5ton = $1005 rebate

Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ vs Lennox Comfortsense 7000

Quote Originally Posted by murphyHVAC View Post
    ...go with the XP19 and ask them to also include a VisionPRO IAQ thermostat setup for dehumidification.
    ...can you compare and contrast the Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ and the Lennox Comfortsense 7000...

I moved this inquiry to a new thread here.

Thanks for any advice or comments that follow.
    Last edited by critterdoc; 06-28-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Moved inquiry to stand-alone thread

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234