Outside temp not being accurate

Just curious question, on the Carrier Infinity sytem with HP, it shows the outside temp on the tstat, but it dont seem very accurate, special when sun is on outside unit, is this normal. The other day it showed 96, even though high for the day was 88. Thanks...

When was it 88°F in Louisville? We haven't broke 85°f yet.

Regardless, you should have the sensor in a spot that is not affected by the sun.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

I thought we hit 88 one day last week, maybe we didnt either way it not accurate. Can sensor be located different location than the HP? Not sure if that matters, since whole back side of the house is in the Sun from noon till about 7:00PM at night.

There's a 'cubby hole' under the edge of a corner post that works nicely.

You could always run separate wire to the roof eave. Tuck it in the shade.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Thanks jrbenny, I will have the contractor come out take look at moving it around for better reading. I dont expect it to be perfect, but within few degrees would be nice. ... again thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by online2 View Post
    Thanks jrbenny, I will have the contractor come out take look at moving it around for better reading. I dont expect it to be perfect, but within few degrees would be nice. ... again thanks for the information.
    I read in my owners instructions that the outside sensor (if so equipped) should be on the north side of the house. Hope this helps!

thorton

Thats not possible, North is front of the house, and unit is on the back of the house, with quad level house, it would be nightmare to get wires run to the front. Contract work for hour to get new wires ran from the HP to the furnace, it had to go up sidewall garage across attic of the garage then between ceiling\floor to get to the furance.

Quote Originally Posted by online2 View Post
    Thats not possible, North is front of the house, and unit is on the back of the house, with quad level house, it would be nightmare to get wires run to the front. Contract work for hour to get new wires ran from the HP to the furnace, it had to go up sidewall garage across attic of the garage then between ceiling\floor to get to the furance.
    Well, I guess the east side of the house would be the next best. Anywhere, but the south or west side!

thorton

If you have the full infinity system with the matching HP the sensor probably came factory mounted on the unit. The HP/sensor will be warmer than the air when the sun hits it due to the metal warming up etc.. There is a function in the setup of the control to introduce an offset into the reading, but unless you verify that infact it isn't reading accurately by placing another accurate thermometer in the same location, why change it. It's used by the system to determine HP cut in and out and in programming modes to bring the home out of setback.
    I have the same thing in a Bryant version and I basically pay no attention to the reading. It's main purpose in life is not to let me know what the temperature outside is..... instead it's to let the control system know what temperature the HP outside is operating in.
    Last edited by firecontrol; 05-20-2008 at 08:09 AM.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Verify the sensor location. I have on occasion cut a short piece of pvc, stuck the sensor in the pvc then zip tied the sensor in place. The Infinity uses the odt in determining system operation.

firecontrol your not my HVAC guy uncover are you ? I spoke with my HVAC this morning and echo almost the same thing as you He ask me to use thermometer set next to the HP to verify whether it off by that much or not, if there was big difference, then he would come out and look at it. Thanks for information.