+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is it..........

Post Likes

Why is it..........

That Wall of Shame post outnumber the Pride posts by 3 to 1 and Shame veiws outnumber the pride views by over 2 to 1?

Post Likes
    Putting a wall of pride picture up is bragging...something I and many others don't do.

Putting a wall of shame picture up is ragging on people that will never "get it" and somewhat pointless. The ones that are safety oriented are very useful, good or bad.

I do not post pictures of my or others jobs...because I can't figure out how to and I keep forgetting to take them. I do not bad mouth jobs to customers, I will mention safety issues, and I will mention when they do a good job. I have told customers the installing company did a great job and we will keep it that way. I will tell them that the original use for the system has changed and some “up grades” are recommended, sometimes the upgrade is a correction to a poor install and sometimes that poor install was unavoidable due to job cost or customer demands.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes
    Guess it's the same reason people slow down to look at a car wreck. Ya wanna see how bad it is and what kind of car was involved.

Ya wanna see what some ding dong was thinking (or not thinking) and laugh and make fun of him. Especially since the laughing is probably a result of post traumatic stress syndrome from dealing with these nit whits.

Post Likes
    Maybe the ratio of hacks are 3 to 1!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Teacher View Post
    Maybe the ratio of hacks are 3 to 1!

Me and my two workers are going to kick your butt...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    Putting a wall of pride picture up is bragging...something I and many others don't do.

Putting a wall of shame picture up is ragging on people that will never "get it" and somewhat pointless. The ones that are safety oriented are very useful, good or bad.

I do not post pictures of my or others jobs...because I can't figure out how to and I keep forgetting to take them. I do not bad mouth jobs to customers, I will mention safety issues, and I will mention when they do a good job. I have told customers the installing company did a great job and we will keep it that way. I will tell them that the original use for the system has changed and some “up grades” are recommended, sometimes the upgrade is a correction to a poor install and sometimes that poor install was unavoidable due to job cost or customer demands.

Agree 100%. If you bad mouth someone else's work too much , it tends to make you look as low class.

Post Likes
    I wonder if anyone has seen their own work on the wall of shame here.... (not that they would admit it)

Post Likes
    That's! one of the reason's I look

The other is to make notes on how NOT to do it

(and also so I can enjoy a beer after a days work and shake my head at how anyone could put their name on a bill or invoice after some the things on their)

As a side note...Aformer mentor/employer told me "A professional does it right the first time so he gets no callbacks, if their is a legitimate callback from something he missed or did wrong then the customer won't see a bill.
    Last edited by Executioner; 05-19-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: add a thought
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, for the ungratefull, have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Refrigeration is all the same weather your making Ice, refrigerating or freezing the product.

Post Likes
    I think the O.P. had a little too much time on his hands today!! Judging by your avatar I had better remind you....

.....NEVER DRINK THE BONG WATER!!

I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    I think many are hesitant to post their work in the WOP due to all the critics here, if you read the threads they get nit picked to death.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    I think many are hesitant to post their work in the WOP due to all the critics here, if you read the threads they get nit picked to death.
    Agree with that completely.

Post Likes
    That is one of the reason that I have not yet put one of our installs on here.Another is I just have not found one that I think could not be done just a little better or neater.I can do something and afterwards I look at it and don't like it because it is not neat enough and do it again....does anyone else have this problem?

Post Likes
    Yeah, I have a ton of installs out there and I feel the same way. I love doing metal work, transitions and things like that....love "putting the puzzle back together" but even after I was done with a job I could always pick my own work apart.....but I think that is a good thing...being that way makes you better....never being satisfied. Maybe one of these days I will snap a few pics and post them.....at this point I having way too much fun being a service tech! LOL

Post Likes
    I usually go thru certain things that really get on my nerves and want it done a certain way.Right now I am very picky about how the CU's look.Because most of our Air handlers are in attics in my area,so most of the time this is the only part other of the T-stat that the HO sees.Another is if the unit calls for 10 subcool on it,thats what I want on it.Not 10.5,9,11 or somewhere close.I guess I am becoming to much of a perfectist.I can't help it that I take pride in my work.

Post Likes

WOS

I often look at the Wall of Shame for entertainment. Sometimes after a bad day it really helps to laugh at some of the stupid sh** we see, especially if you've had to fix things like some of those pictures.

Post Likes

Talking

I was only wondering if it was a comment on human nature, like bads news sells on other media. But interesting responses.
    I've, I believe, posted one or more of our jobs in the shame area. Don't remember why, probably nitpicking. But I do try to be my own worst critic. Got an apprentice who seems to take on all critizism as a challenge to improve his act. Wish they all were that way.
    As for the bong water I use wine instead.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in