Hot water output from climatemaster tranquility 27

Hi there,

My geothermal unit was installed feb 27/08. I am almost ready to move in, next week hopefully. My system seems to produce heat and AC quite well, however it does not seem to produce hot water. The temp of the water exiting the system to the holding tank is barely luke warm, I would think it should be quite hot. Is this system suppose to produce hot water in both heat mode and ac mode?

cheers

dean
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 05-19-2008 at 06:10 AM. Reason: please put your e-mail address in your profile

Your system will make about an 8 degree rise, providing the discharge line is hot enough to turn on the hotwater generator. Also the air should be bled out so the pump will pump. This system only makes hot water when the system is running so spring and fall may not see much run time compared to winter and summer. Plus since you have not moved in yet, the plumber might not have been finished when the heat guys started up the system, so the hot water generator wires might not be hooked up yet.

Kevin

Lukewarm is okay. The available heat is not great. You will see the biggest heat gain during heating season, when the head pressures in the compressor are highest. Summer will provide some hot water, but less then in winter.

In the winter, you can see a 20-30 degree increase in the holding tank overnight, when it is cold and the unit runs a lot.

paul

Wink

Like Tecman said you are in a low production time depending on where you live. I just hooked my desuperheater up on my water furnace two weeks ago. I have a 50 gallon rheem marathon (no power to it just storage) and it feeds a Rinnai tankless that I installed when I built two years ago. I am in SW Ohio and this past couple of weeks the heat comes on at night but nothing all day. I have been checking the output of the geo by shutting off the Rinnai and running straight through it. I am seeing 88 to 112 degrees depending on nighttime temp holding house at 70 degrees. Your system as said earlier may not be running enough yet. Have you checked with a thermometer?. How are you checking the temp? What is your tank setup? The lukewarm may actually be in the 80's which is pretty good for this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by captain canuck View Post
    Hi there,

My geothermal unit was installed feb 27/08. I am almost ready to move in, next week hopefully. My system seems to produce heat and AC quite well, however it does not seem to produce hot water. The temp of the water exiting the system to the holding tank is barely luke warm, I would think it should be quite hot. Is this system suppose to produce hot water in both heat mode and ac mode?

cheers

dean
    Your geothermal unit is not a hot water heater, period. It just happens to heat a small volume of domestic water when the unit is producing heat or cooling if the desuperheater is connected and connected correctly -- But only then.

It's an addition and benefit to a geothermal system but it is not made or built to produce hot water as a sole source unit.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

I just installed a Tranquility 27 in my house and I'm very impressed with the hot water output. I run mine through a 50gal electric then to a 95% Rinnai.

I actually had to double check that the power to the electric water heater was turned off today. It's very cold out 10F and I was expecting to get my biggest hot water generation on a hot summer day.

There is a dip switch you need to flip on to activate the de-superheater and also a jumper on the control board that needs to be cut. I'm loving this system since I've installed so many in other people's houses.

Quote Originally Posted by bnordman View Post
    EarthLoop

I have that system too and my heat output in general seems to be pretty low. The hot water going into the system is as hot as what comes out, but the air seems to be pretty low in temp.

Any thoughts?
    Should start a new thread.

More details would be nice, like what temp exactly is "pretty low"? I can't find that on my thermometer.

bnordman

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post advice here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?