Thread: Voyager "test" mode

Post Likes

Voyager "test" mode

Looked at a YCD060C3L0BF the other day that wouldn't cycle into "Test" mode. I cleaned the terminals off real well and even jumpered behind directly on the terminals, even sliced insulation back and hit clean cooper wire...to no avail. The unit would not cycle into test mode, the UCP light stayed solid. Anyone seen this?

r404a

Post Likes
    Check all of your connections at the unitary process control. If the are all good and your sure you are jumping out the test right, then you have a bad board. Does it run from the t-stat? Does it do any crazy stuff when there is no call for anything?

Post Likes
    dank,
    Thanks for the reply. I noticed this thing cycle a lot and I was told that they were having issues with this zone. I wanted to run it through a test mode to see if it was cycling on a fault (though it should lock out the circuit) and couldn't get it to cycle into test. I will look at the connection up further. Thanks again.

r404a

Post Likes
    bad economizer board on the UCP. the options board on the reliatel is the baord that causes "hair fall out" on the new control package.

as always, shorts to ground due to poor "insulation damage protection" can also cause these same issues.

i have found the resistor method much more reliable than the shorting method...even when nothing was wrong.

good luck.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Had an issue with a 25 ton Voyager a couple months ago, trane tech support told me if the unit fails any portion of the test procedure replace the board. That is presuming its not a contactor or relay problem
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    Had an issue with a 25 ton Voyager a couple months ago, trane tech support told me if the unit fails any portion of the test procedure replace the board. That is presuming its not a contactor or relay problem
    Yep same thing I was told. Trane has a book that helps on thier boards.

Post Likes
    I hate to ask this, but before you go through the trouble of changing out a board, you did check your jumper wire?

Post Likes
    how long did you hold the short,sometimes it takes a minute

Post Likes
    I've messed up once or twice, rushing and didn't look at the terminal designations. Some test terminals are on the top left and right others on the right side top and just below it. If you can't get it into test then the UCP is defective. I would try removing the test wires off of the back of the terminal strip and jumping just the wires before I condemed the board. Could be a broken wire in the stay-cons, had that happen before.
    Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nascarwc88 View Post
    I hate to ask this, but before you go through the trouble of changing out a board, you did check your jumper wire?
    I have to admit it. I have removed the plug at the board and jumped it there to run a test. I'm sure I've forgotten to put the plug back into place more then once.

Post Likes
    If you aligator clip is bad and it won't go into test then you should tell them they need a new unit.

Post Likes
    powered down on the main disconnect and still won't test...it's not a constant jump as you hit it off and on to the test point fan...cool 1... cool 2... heat...econo?
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cjcargo View Post
    I have to admit it. I have removed the plug at the board and jumped it there to run a test. I'm sure I've forgotten to put the plug back into place more then once.

Yep you might want to check the little 2 wire plug on the board where it say's TEST and see if it's on there.

I take them off to test when the terminals are all rusted and forget to put it back on sometimes.

I had one today ware it would kick out of test mode when I tested 1st stage but worked fine from t-stat.

They'll be getting a new board

Post Likes
    A few thing to know about UCP and Test Mode:
    1) Power up unit, wait a minute, then jumper Test 1 to Test 2. UCP ignores input on power-up.
    2) Measure between Test 1 and Test 2 without jumper - should read 5VDC. If not, check voltage at the board (J4).
    3) When shorting Test terminals, hold the short at least 5 seconds. A short blip is ignored.
    4) If you unplug J4 on the UCP, plug it in when you are done and reset power. Otherwise, the unit configuration may be wrong.

Have fun

Post Likes
    These were all very good responses. I appreciate your time. And for those who think a jumper can't be bad...guess again. Actually, on this one, the J4 plug was just barely touching the UCP. Plugged it in and was able to run throught test mode. Thanks again.

r404a

Post Likes
    It may sound a little small ,but buy an engine remote starter. They look like a thumb button starter for an engine, they work like miracles for Voyagers.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Post Likes
    Glad you got it to work, i generally unplug the test plug at the board and use my knife to short it.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    When you unplug J4 you change unit configuration (look at the schematic). Therefore you are not testing the "same" unit. I suggest that you verify 5VDC between Test 1 and Test 2. Then, jumper at Test 1 and Test 2.

Post Likes
    when your boss flips yous a quarter to call someone who cares, save it to jumper the test screws
    You can't fix stupid

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in