Thread: Rheem Problem?

Rheem Problem?

I have a rheem split system unit with scroll compressor. Leaked check with nitrogen and found no leak with 300 lbs. of pressure. So pulled a vacuum on the system and weighed in refrigerant. When I fired it up I was getting 35 lb suction and 300 lb. head. Pumped down system ,replaced txv on indoor coil, and installed liquid line filter dryer. Pulled a vacuum and fired it up, initially suction dropped to 10lb. and head was 200 lbs. so added little freon to try to raise the suction pressure but the head pressure rose to over 350 lbs. and suction was about 30 lbs.and cut out the compressor on high pressure. How can I tell If it is a restriction or if there are moisture still in the system. Help will be greatly appreciated.

What is the SC & SH?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

That is why I dont like scrolls, high head.

Can't get it to run long enough to get that reading because kicks out on high pressure but have recovered freon and tommorrow I am going to pull a vacuum again and see if that will tell me if there is a restriction. I was told to hook manifold gauges to unit and vacuum pump and then close the high side. If the low side needle falls then no restriction but if it doesn't then there is a restriction. If this is true where would the restriction be at.

NOt sure what method your talking about to find if its restricted.
    But, I'd say the pressures are alreadyu telling you there is one.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

A split system are you sure there are no kinks in the line?

Quote Originally Posted by jrock93 View Post
    Can't get it to run long enough to get that reading because kicks out on high pressure but have recovered freon and tommorrow I am going to pull a vacuum again and see if that will tell me if there is a restriction. I was told to hook manifold gauges to unit and vacuum pump and then close the high side. If the low side needle falls then no restriction but if it doesn't then there is a restriction. If this is true where would the restriction be at.
    I would think your suction gage needle would fall regardless cause it's in series with the pump and the restriction.
    Try running the A/C with the blower off. Wherever the restriction is you should see the line frosting up at that point.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
    That is why I dont like scrolls, high head.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

You said you installed a LLD. Did you remove the old one?

There wasn't a filter dryer on it. Also, no kinks in the line. I was wondering that the reversing valve could be stuck and in heat mode. Also while pulling a vacuum how can I tell if there is a restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    I would think your suction gage needle would fall regardless cause it's in series with the pump and the restriction.
    Try running the A/C with the blower off. Wherever the restriction is you should see the line frosting up at that point.
    by the sounds of it, she won't run long enough to see the frost