Thread: Got a Job

Got a Job

I am in a two year HVAC program at a local tech school. I interviewed at one place to see if they were interested in me working for them over the summer break. Sure enough, they want me. I'm pretty excited. And nervous. I start there in just over a week.

I'm 30 years old, with nine years as an electrician in the military. I'm pretty smart even if I say so myself. So I am confident in my ability to impress them enough to hire me on full time when I graduate. But this should be a pretty good learning experience for me. Sounds like I am going to ride around with one of their techs for the summer. Don't worry, I'm not going to be a know-it-all. I know a vast majority of what I need to know about the industry will be learned on the job, not in school. And I am definitely going to take advantage of all learning the tech offers me.

A few incentives for me to do well is the company is well known, does the type of work I am looking to do (commercial), and is part of the Plumbers & Steamfitters Union (good pay and benefits). Any further advice you guys can offer? And wish me luck!

Sounds like you're on the right track. Remember that God gave you two ears and one mouth. That means you need to listen twice as much as you hear.

Welcome to the trade.

OTTO

Maybe someday you can have a beer with O' Roy!
    R2B4BTU

Welcome to the trade. Just remember that when you are riding with that tech that just cause he does things a certain way does not make it right or the best way. This is a trade that is more about social skills than almost any other. You can be the best guy at turning wrenches but if your service team can not get along with you they will get along without you.
    Hope his helps.
    If you didn't do it right the first time it probably makes sense that your here asking the right way to do it now

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." If you practice doing something wrong when you get in the field on your own you are going to do it wrong. Practice correctly and most of all welcome to the industry.
    "Here in Carolina We Get-R-Done"

You have the attitude and electrical experience to be sucessfull, good luck and enjoy you new trade, we all do. Don't forget all the side money you can get from relatives and friends
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own