Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thumbs up Crickets chirping (silence) haha

Quote Originally Posted by r404a View Post
    Jesse and New Guy,
    This trade may, I said MAY not be for you both. With your cavalier attitudes and "everyone is an idiot but me" attitude, you may want to consider working in another trade.
    You both are in school. That is great. I will give either of you a break if you are 30 or over and have worked in another mechanical trade, or even the computer or electronics field.
    r404a

My response.

" Im not in school, I finished. I have worked in this trade. I am over 30. "
    "I think your serious about what you said so this is what I can offer.
    The same thing I gave the first company that gave a chance to get in.
    Do not hire me. I will work for free for week or so till you decide if you want me in your company. If you don’t hire me, Ill be greatfull for a week of experience.
    I will work hard and not whine about it.
    There are no jobs that are “beneath me”.

What state are you in??

(Silence) (crickets chirping)

You guys have a great sense of humor.

Let this be a lesson for the new guys starting out (Its hard to get into this field no matter what people say).

You will see and read a lot of Information on this website.

In every interaction the information is not the most important thing. The most important thing is allways Credibility (Truthfulness of the information). If there is no credibility than the information is irrelivant (It could just be lies).

This is a good example.

Please find the humor in this. It really is priceless.

new guy

check my email in the profile and send me one. We are in SE Virginia.

r404a

Green:

Commercial
    Residential
    Whatever

Yeah, become a plumber instead.

Is HVAC a smart thing to enter?..........................

In a word......no.

Research chemist, medical doctor, MBA from a good college, these are "smart" things to choose as a career.

But as blue collar careers go, you could do a lot worse than HVAC. It's been feeding and houseing me and my family for going on two decades now........we aren't rich, and there are tough times, but over all.....a lot of people are worse off than we are.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC View Post
    The truth of the matter is idiots are everywhere, not just in the HVAC field. The good part about this is in a diverse field like HVAC you will need knowledge, experience, ambition and even a little luck and you can be successful. In corporate america you can be the biggest load and they will promote you to your next level of incompetence just to get rid of you.

It's a small world and at the supply house everyone knows who the "bad people" are.

Best of luck
    What he said.

One hallmark of a good company to work for is how it pays its bills.
    True, some young companies are still pulling their bootstraps, so don't put them down.
    If you want to look at young companies, look at the trucks they drive.
    Does a smart businessman buy a fancy truck when he has other obligations?

Tech schools are not all the same. Nor are hvac companies. The ones that do well and stay in business are the ones that have good reputations. Word of mouth goes a long way. A little advertising helps, but a lot doesn't.

Except for new construction, hvac is a recession-proof business, especially if you put a little aside for the slow years. "Putting aside" doesn't just mean putting cash in the bank. It means selling old assets and buying new ones on a regular basis, so that you don't have to buy something when you can least afford it.

You can't just do it. You have to be a good businessman, or you have to work for one.
    Last edited by Space Racer; 07-14-2008 at 11:05 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Quote Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post

The truth is the companies that will hire you (for the most part) with no real world experience (or very little). Will most likely be full of loosers drunks and druggies (like working with third graders). They will scream, yell, threaten you (you cant bang them out cause youll get blacklisted). They will take do anything they can to make it hard on you. If your cleancut straight shooter you will be targeted by them cause they dont want to compete with you when you get experience. If you work hard, same thing. Your bosses will follow the herd too. So dont count on them. Have fun and good luck (youll need it).
    Hm.

We have hired people with no training and no experience, then discovered they were gems in the rough. We have fired many people with years of experience for various reasons, most of them boiling down to things like attitude, judgment, quality of workmanship, getting along with people, neatness, etc., non of which are hvac-related. Normally, no single one of the above reasons will get you fired; it takes two or three, and then only after counseling, unless you are a new hire.

Quality is key.

We are not the only company with high standards in the metro Atlanta area. There are others.

The question is, How high are your standards? To paraphrase JFK, don't just ask what an hvac company can do for you; recognize your own values and see if you can apply them at a company that that has a good reputation.
    Last edited by Space Racer; 07-14-2008 at 09:32 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123