Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by r404a View Post
    I am one of those idiots that was in your class. I am upset that you told everyone about me. I don't know what to do now.

r404a
    Ha! then what are you doin on this site ?
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Miller View Post
    The more I read about the HVAC/R and meet people who currently work in the field, I do not know if I want to spend my time and money to pursue this trade. Please tell me that the trade that I am currently trying to learn is not filled with these types of people?
    Jesse, I would encourage you to get into the trade. We need as many honest techs and installers as we can get. A vast majority of the folks in this trade are honest, hard working people providing themselves and their families with a good living. You are going to find disreputable workers (employers, too) in any line of work that you may enter. If you enjoy the work itself, then go for it. Just find the right company for you. I've worked for the same company for over twenty years and would not had stayed if they had not been honest and straightforward with customers and employees alike. Go out and make the difference. You will be rewarded for that.

Quote Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post

The truth is the companies that will hire you (for the most part) with no real world experience (or very little). Will most likely be full of loosers drunks and druggies (like working with third graders). They will scream, yell, threaten you (you cant bang them out cause youll get blacklisted). They will take do anything they can to make it hard on you. If your cleancut straight shooter you will be targeted by them cause they dont want to compete with you when you get experience. If you work hard, same thing. Your bosses will follow the herd too. So dont count on them. Have fun and good luck (youll need it).
    HVAC itself is as interesting as it gets but the Dbags that you will have to work with (as a newbee) will test your restraint every day. You can be the only person not stoned and stealing and get axed by the company. Its gonna be crazy political.

Jessy these are Very Good questions. Im maybe a year or two ahead of you so let me tell you what you can expect.

(there are a couple of people in my current refrigeration class who work in the trade and they are complete retards.) is this what you can expect?
    Short answer: Absolutly. Yes. Even more than you have seen allready. Its worse than you know. You will see.

This field is great. You can work in the field for 3 to 5 years and have a flat out career. But to get there you have to go through a gaulnet of BS, harrasment, slander, provocation (with you not responding), people telling you to do things that will get you maimed or killed.

People in general, you know. But this field for whatever reason is full of donkeys. They will try to keep you from learning. Refuse to answer questions. Then scream cause you dont know
    Your full of BS! While there are bad and good. There is NO gauntlet you have to traverse at the beginning. If you are part of a group like that, its time to find an other employer. My boss hired me with no rack experienced and 10 years in the trade. I'm now a happy and well paid supermarket tech.
    Supermarket Tech...and anything else the boss finds for me!

In the gauntlet

I started cleaning boilers on weekends with an old guy in the late 90's. At the time I was a deisel tech. I really found the work interesting,out of the shop(huge) direct interaction with customers etc. It may take 40hrs and 10's of thousands of dollars in tools to repair an engine. Most services and repairs in hvac can be done with a tool bag,meter and a set of gauges. 5yrs later I decided to do it full time.
    The best job I could get with "some"experiance and while in night school paid and still pays poorly. I did use the tuition reimbursement policy to help with education. Now that I want my journeymans card it's an act of congress to get any type of support from my employer. My supervisor is so threatened by my progress that the other employee's often comment that "he'' has got it out for me. My co. is 60yrs old ,and has no retirerees. The only people with cards are in management and nepitism is rampent. So IMHO the gauntlet does exist.

Then it is time to look for an other employer. I don't believe that that is the norm BUT I will concede it is out there. It's up to us to kill it. The employer needs us more than we need them in some cases. With a full set of skills you should be able to go anywhere and get a good job.
    Supermarket Tech...and anything else the boss finds for me!

You can always go to walmart and be a 8$ hour nobody! The trade is what you make it and your reputation is all you will have. Imagine your the customer, how do you want to be treated, and carry on accordingly. If your dishonest your gonna be dishonest in whatever you do.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Miller View Post
    The more I read about the HVAC/R and meet people who currently work in the field, I do not know if I want to spend my time and money to pursue this trade. there are a couple of people in my current refrigeration class who work in the trade and they are complete retards. I can not believe that these guys are working in the field and installing residential systems in homes. I feel sorry for the home owner who gets these two idiots. Other refrigeration classes that I have taken had some techs in the class and they were idiots also. One of my teachers who taught one of my classes told us how to make extra money ( if you know what I mean). After my teacher told the class about these crooked things, I was amazed how some of my fellow students also informed the class on how to make "extra" money by doing crooked things to peoples A/C units. Please tell me that the trade that I am currently trying to learn is not filled with these types of people?
    One of my early gigs in this field was with an install/service company where the two owners drank most of their income...and spent the rest in the red light district. I remember coming into work one morning and seeing one of the two owners on a sofa in the office...he had spent the night there to sleep off a drunk.

That was over 25 years ago. That company faded from the scene. Since that gig I've had others; some good, some not so hot. Whenever I was in the "not so hot" ones I kept an eye out for something better. It's my belief that quality attracts quality...if you make yourself be quality, you will eventually find someone else who thinks likewise and wants to hire you on.

The important thing is to NOT let a few bad apples dictate how you perform in this trade, or any other endeavor you take on. There are dumb-asses in every profession, from doctors, lawyers, architects, and CEO's, to truck drivers, construction workers, plumbers, and, yes, HVAC technicians. Human nature is what it is. The walkaway lesson from this is for you to be the best you can be, no matter what you do or who is around you. YOU dictate the standard, and the slackards will either feel compelled to catch up, or just despise your ambition and drive. If it's the latter, I could not care less. They have to find out on their own that skating through life is a sure road to hell.

Jesse and New Guy,
    I will begin this reply with a little boost to you both. Congratulations for wanting to exceed and to do things the right way. Not wanting to be crooked is comendable.
    Now, that being said, I am going to put it like this. This trade may, I said MAY not be for you both. With your cavalier attitudes and "everyone is an idiot but me" attitude, you may want to consider working in another trade.
    You both are in school. That is great. I will give either of you a break if you are 30 or over and have worked in another mechanical trade, or even the computer or electronics field. Besides that let me say this: Until you have been in the field , on call, fixing things ON YOUR OWN...keep quiet about who you think is an idiot. Here is a hint: The mechanics you are working FOR do not care what you think of them and the best way to get a guy to NOT show you things is to have the attitudes you two have.

r404a

The truth of the matter is idiots are everywhere, not just in the HVAC field. The good part about this is in a diverse field like HVAC you will need knowledge, experience, ambition and even a little luck and you can be successful. In corporate america you can be the biggest load and they will promote you to your next level of incompetence just to get rid of you.

It's a small world and at the supply house everyone knows who the "bad people" are.

Best of luck

I am currently in HVAC school in Phoenix. I have been in Plumbing for 7 years and my new job required that I learn HVAC. SO I did it. I have always wanted to learn the trade. I have been in my class now for 5 weeks and have absorbed a great amount. It amazes me what I know now compared to 2 months ago. As far as working for thieves I would never do it. I wont to earn a honest dollar instaed of ripping people off. Karma's a B*tch, I dont wont her on my door step any more. From what I hear trades are going to be the next top jobs to have with the economy going the way it is.

Talking depends

As has been mentioned earlier by another member. What other jobs are you considering? I'll be flat out honest in why I chose this career. Money. It was one of the few things I was good at, and somewhat liked at the time, because learning anything is fun. At least for me it is. If money is your pure motivator it's probably a good career choice. The reality is I make as much, and more then most of my friends with college degrees.3 years later with a journeyman license I could work anywhere. I can go into an interview sell my self down. Emphasize my being green around the edges, and I'll start at 18hr. I make about 45k a year. The shortage for qualified technicians is vast. If I stay in this career permanently, I certainly could have made worse decisions in life. I plan on going to college, and I'll tell you right now there is a hell of a lot worse ways to put your self through school.You can go to college earn a b.a. or a b.s. maybe not make more, but enjoy what you do. This career isn't a shortcut as it will take 3-4 years if your smart and capable longer if your not, before you start making good money. Basically in the time it takes for this to become lucrative you could have earned a college degree.

Good Luck to ya' buddy!

Thumbs up No gaulnet on east st. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Txvman View Post
    Your full of BS! While there are bad and good. There is NO gauntlet you have to traverse at the beginning. If you are part of a group like that, its time to find an other employer. My boss hired me with no rack experienced and 10 years in the trade. I'm now a happy and well paid supermarket tech.
    Good point txv, valid too, There is No gauntlet on easy street.

Let me give you a little background. Im a vet, with no record, I flat out outwork the illegals Ive worked with (physical work), been to multiple school, I have payed dues (and still am) to get as far as I have but the fight continues and Im in it all the way. Have you had to work in companies where the majority of the vans have drugs in them on a regular basis? You want to try to fit in with those clowns (me neither), they suck to work with (totally immature, backstabbers, liars, theives ect.), But you wouldn’t know cause they don’t do that on easy st. do they? I wouldn’t know (what its like where you work) Im out here in the real world EARNING it. Have you worked residential installs in 140 degree attics?? No? Have you had to cut up and clean out oil tanks by hand with dry sweep and napkins??? Oh no? my bad, they don’t do that on easy st. do they? I wouldn’t know Im out here in the real world EARNI NG it. I didn’t hit the lottery. You got one job straight out of school with no experience (Bhahahahaa) and you been working there for 10 years now and your going to tell me “how it is”. No problems, good pay bla bla bla. You are the exception not the rule. That’s easy 1st. job out and you made it, stay there and retire (Im going to guess most guys out there would have loved to have gotten that, but they didn’t hit the lottery, they (unlike you) really had to EARN it. You lucked out. Its kind of funny. Im not trying to make you look ignorant but it is what it is. Your opinion (that’s what it is because you haven’t experienced the entire gauntlet ordeal) is kind of like asking a like asking a silver spoon bleep what a bad day is like. He has no point of reference. You saying “that’s BS” cause I never saw that (had to go through it) and I had one job so I know what this field (many companies) is all about, is illogical. Let me explain, and I apologize in advance if I lose you here (Im going to use logic and “common sense”). You can’t deny an absolute exists (the gauntlet) by saying you never saw it (so it doesn’t exist). Your argument is absolutely denying something exists with a negative. It’s a totally false assumption. Were talking second grader logic here.

Ill break it down for you.

This is your logic.

“the Gaunlet” doesn’t exist cause I never saw it (at my one job in the field aka easy st.).

You did not see it so it absolutely cant exist. That’s your logic, and it don’t jive with reality (aka where I live).

I did see it “the gaulnet” so I absolutely know it does exist. I saw it, lived it at multiple jobs so I empirically know it exists. I positivly have proof. You do not (your “logic” is I don’t know so it don’t exist. If your confused check out Ravi Zacharias haha.

“Common sense” logic and the truth, that’s all Im offering. But I got in spades hahaha. Joking.

If I am wrong then all these veterans of the field are also. I don’t think Im wrong. I think your wrong and misleading people. Im telling everyone stay the course and make a career of this. If you want something sugar coated buy a jelly donut or talk to some PC liberal.

This is real the real world.

“The best job I could get with "some"experiance and while in night school paid and still pays poorly. I did use the tuition reimbursement policy to help with education. Now that I want my journeymans card it's an act of congress to get any type of support from my employer. My supervisor is so threatened by my progress that the other employee's often comment that "he'' has got it out for me. My co. is 60yrs old ,and has no retirerees. The only people with cards are in management and nepitism is rampent. So IMHO the gauntlet does exist.”

dec
    Professional Member

“No matter what shop new guys start up in, union or non union ...... do your best not to get into the middle of the common territorial wars in some of the shops with a lot of employees. Its a losing cause because they will throw you out with the trash if they feel you are on the other side ....... and thats pretty easy if your an apprentice. Anyone their a long time can claim just about anything to get rid of you and if you dont have a lot of pull from someone in that shop....... your history.

Its no differant in any shop but the bigger the shop is ....... the more the chance someone may be trying to backstab you, it happens all the time.”

Joe Cool
    Professional Member
    “I would have to say that for those who have a job, it is a good trade. I would also have to say that it is not an easy trade to get into. I have been done with my schooling for almost a year and I have not found a job yet.”

“As far as what it takes to get started. Knowing somebody in the trade will do more for you than any school. As a matter of fact, it seems that the only people in my classes that got jobs where those that knew somebody.”

DEC professional member
    “are you good at dealing with people and A$$holes?

Can you handle people backstabbing you without losing it and getting fired ?”

sabre11134
    Professional Member
    “HVAC career,when you are starting out you will get mistreated and lied to,your more exp workers are fearful for their job and they will likely not want to show you anything.”

wolfstrike
    Professional Member

“it's difficult to get a job in this trade with less than 5 years experience.

i've been in this trade for 3 years and i haven't had a good job yet.”

Nothing personal but your words are invalid and valuless cause you haven’t earned it like most people in this trade. I don’t respect what you say, or you in general. Again nothing personal.

Sounds like you knew someone, got lucky (great companies do exist, Ive just never been at one, but every job Ive had has been better than the one before it) or a case of nepotism any way. Its flat out easy street for you.

When I need to know how hard it is on easy st. I’ll ask you till then you really need to have a little respect for the “grown ups” discussing real world issues that you have no knowledge of. Im sorry for being so harsh spoken about this its just with the amount of work and BS been through I have a real hard time being all polite and fake in here (I been doing that at all my jobs, all humble and just getting craped on for efforts) I honestly think you would be the same way if the roles were reversed. Nothing personal.

Im happy for you though.

Lightbulb No attitude just honesty. No PC either.

Quote Originally Posted by r404a View Post
    Jesse and New Guy,
    I will begin this reply with a little boost to you both. Congratulations for wanting to exceed and to do things the right way. Not wanting to be crooked is comendable.
    Now, that being said, I am going to put it like this. This trade may, I said MAY not be for you both. With your cavalier attitudes and "everyone is an idiot but me" attitude, you may want to consider working in another trade.
    You both are in school. That is great. I will give either of you a break if you are 30 or over and have worked in another mechanical trade, or even the computer or electronics field. Besides that let me say this: Until you have been in the field , on call, fixing things ON YOUR OWN...keep quiet about who you think is an idiot. Here is a hint: The mechanics you are working FOR do not care what you think of them and the best way to get a guy to NOT show you things is to have the attitudes you two have.

r404a
    4o4a I appreciate your honesty. Congrats to you for having your own company. You misunderstand my comments though. I don’t have a cavalier attitude, far from it. I just after all Ive been through feel compelled to “call it like it is” or at least has been for me. This trade not being for me is doubtful. Its fascinating how this stuff works. I honestly think anyone with effort and a brain can do this, you just gotta get the experience until that your like a baby turtle on the beach trying to make to the ocean haha. Im not in school, I finished. I have worked in this trade. I am over 30. I don’t tell the “people” I work with I think they are idiots (If I do) Im just trying not to get a contact high in van (with them) before I mess around will line voltage. I don’t tell them I what I think ever cause they are trying to get me on daily basis. I don’t have to do anything to antagonize them, they backstab and lie by default. I just don’t “fit in” that’s right, I argue about leaving early cause the company gave me a chance why am I going screw them over, I don’t go on “magic van rides” with the clowns cause I don’t. Im just sick of it. The games. The political BS.
    I think your serious about what you said so this is what I can offer.
    The same thing I gave the first company that gave a chance to get in.
    Do not hire me. I will work for free for week or so till you decide if you want me in your company. If you don’t hire me, Ill be greatfull for a week of experience.
    I will work hard and not whine about it.
    There are no jobs that are “beneath me”.
    I will show up early everyday.
    I will work late, what do I care its just more experience.
    Im greatful cause I know your not really making money on less experienced people, and Im basically getting and education and career out of it. Why wouldn’t I be greatful?
    I do have some experience but not enough.

What state are you in?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast