Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is the HVAC/R trade a smart thing to enter?

The more I read about the HVAC/R and meet people who currently work in the field, I do not know if I want to spend my time and money to pursue this trade. there are a couple of people in my current refrigeration class who work in the trade and they are complete retards. I can not believe that these guys are working in the field and installing residential systems in homes. I feel sorry for the home owner who gets these two idiots. Other refrigeration classes that I have taken had some techs in the class and they were idiots also. One of my teachers who taught one of my classes told us how to make extra money ( if you know what I mean). After my teacher told the class about these crooked things, I was amazed how some of my fellow students also informed the class on how to make "extra" money by doing crooked things to peoples A/C units. Please tell me that the trade that I am currently trying to learn is not filled with these types of people?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Miller View Post
    The more I read about the HVAC/R and meet people who currently work in the field, I do not know if I want to spend my time and money to pursue this trade. there are a couple of people in my current refrigeration class who work in the trade and they are complete retards. I can not believe that these guys are working in the field and installing residential systems in homes. I feel sorry for the home owner who gets these two idiots. Other refrigeration classes that I have taken had some techs in the class and they were idiots also. One of my teachers who taught one of my classes told us how to make extra money ( if you know what I mean). After my teacher told the class about these crooked things, I was amazed how some of my fellow students also informed the class on how to make "extra" money by doing crooked things to peoples A/C units. Please tell me that the trade that I am currently trying to learn is not filled with these types of people?
    Sorry hacks are everywere and in all fields. I only do supermarket refrigeration but I would do it over again.Just rember that just because you
    go to school with some wana be hacks dosent mean you have to follow them
    do the best you can in school and become good at what you do then look for
    a good company to work for [yes their are lot's fo good ones left] or go out on your own.Good luck.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Your just witnessinng the dark side of the industry...every industry has it. How you choose to carry yourself determines whether or not you'll succeed.
    Operate with honesty and integrity and you'll make a lot of money and sleep well at night, choose the darkside and you'll become "one of the idiots".

no

I hope I dony meet any of them.

I am one of those idiots that was in your class. I am upset that you told everyone about me. I don't know what to do now.

r404a

Is the HVAC/R trade a smart thing to enter?
    That depends on what else are your thinking about doing for a job?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Talking

The truth is the companies that will hire you (for the most part) with no real world experience (or very little). Will most likely be full of loosers drunks and druggies (like working with third graders). They will scream, yell, threaten you (you cant bang them out cause youll get blacklisted). They will take do anything they can to make it hard on you. If your cleancut straight shooter you will be targeted by them cause they dont want to compete with you when you get experience. If you work hard, same thing. Your bosses will follow the herd too. So dont count on them. Have fun and good luck (youll need it).
    HVAC itself is as interesting as it gets but the Dbags that you will have to work with (as a newbee) will test your restraint every day. You can be the only person not stoned and stealing and get axed by the company. Its gonna be crazy political.

Jessy these are Very Good questions. Im maybe a year or two ahead of you so let me tell you what you can expect.

(there are a couple of people in my current refrigeration class who work in the trade and they are complete retards.) is this what you can expect?
    Short answer: Absolutly. Yes. Even more than you have seen allready. Its worse than you know. You will see.

This field is great. You can work in the field for 3 to 5 years and have a flat out career. But to get there you have to go through a gaulnet of BS, harrasment, slander, provocation (with you not responding), people telling you to do things that will get you maimed or killed.

People in general, you know. But this field for whatever reason is full of donkeys. They will try to keep you from learning. Refuse to answer questions. Then scream cause you dont know

Jessy when this happens. People will act like its you when you tell them what idiots your dealing with. They will act surprised when you tell them. Its not you. They are retards. I work with them too. Just remember this and know its not you. Keep learning and play the polotics. Get through your 3 years of crap. If you land in a company with actual adults (not chronological) hold on tight and never leave.

I recently retired from the trade, and made a decent living at it without having to rip anybody off. If I had to do it over again, I cant imagine I would do anything different. Some of the best people I've ever known were also in the trade, but having said that so were some of the biggest crooks. I guess it all depends what side of the fence you want to be on. Dont judge us all by the actions of a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Enrique View Post
    I recently retired from the trade, and made a decent living at it without having to rip anybody off. If I had to do it over again, I cant imagine I would do anything different. Some of the best people I've ever known were also in the trade, but having said that so were some of the biggest crooks. I guess it all depends what side of the fence you want to be on. Dont judge us all by the actions of a few.
    Ya its that way in every trade you have good people and bad people.

You will always have a job,m if you are any good at it
    UA Local 141

this trade has treated me good and bad my only advice is put what you get out of it back into it but be careful not to put more into it then you get out of it.
    If the trade is your life it should pay good and treat you very well, put your face in a book work for the jac*o##s for a few years and you will find that there is no limmit to where you can go or what you can work on as long as you have drive, its a differnt issue on every call and every breakdown, wile your working the first few years take all the old parts your journeyman has changed apart and try and figer out why/how they became faulty/ how they operate and you will be on your way.

Cheers,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast