Deciding on a Payne or Amana

Just wondering if I could get a little feedback on which one I should choose to have installed in our home.

We have currently used a Lennox from 1987 and now must gut the old and replace with new equipment.

We are being offered the Payne (PA4ANA04800) condenser unit, air handler, heat strips and a quality install for $XXXX

Also, we are offered an Amana from another co. with a 10 yr parts and labor warranty and a lifetime on the outside condenser unit, also for $XXXX. The company that installs doesn't have strong customer satisfaction.

Both machines are 4 ton, 14 seer with no heat pump. My home is all electric but I didn't want to pay more for the heat pump.

Need help in making a wise decision
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 05-17-2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: removed $ amount

Amana is the high end arm of Goodman, Payne is the bottom end of Bryant/Carrier. Like comparing a loaded Accord with a stripped Kia. Around here if we see a Payne it's likely a moonligher job or home warranty slap in.

If the Amana dealer doesn't have a great rep, you don't want him. Look around a bit more.

you cant stop a Trane!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt3677 View Post
    you cant stop a Trane!!!
    Yes you can
    I need a new signature.....

by putting # 88 on its tracks right. J/K

Quote Originally Posted by momstheword View Post
    Just wondering if I could get a little feedback on which one I should choose to have installed in our home.

We have currently used a Lennox from 1987 and now must gut the old and replace with new equipment.

We are being offered the Payne (PA4ANA04800) condenser unit, air handler, heat strips and a quality install for $XXXX

Also, we are offered an Amana from another co. with a 10 yr parts and labor warranty and a lifetime on the outside condenser unit, also for $XXXX. The company that installs doesn't have strong customer satisfaction.

Both machines are 4 ton, 14 seer with no heat pump. My home is all electric but I didn't want to pay more for the heat pump.

In most areas of the country, that extra amount that the heat pump costs will save you big on your heating bills. A good dealer can advise you which way is best in your area. There are some other good brands out there too, find a qualified contractor with a good track record.

I never said Trane wasn't a good unit....just saying I can stop one

.......pull the disconnect!
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt3677 View Post
    you cant stop a Trane!!!
    What the hell does this have to do with this thread! Do you have Trane terrettes or something?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by momstheword View Post

You ask help in making a wise decision at the same time you state you do not want to pay for a heat pump. The choice between what brand of equipment you purchase is not a matter of being wise anywhere near as much as deciding to have a heat pump installed rather then only having electric strip heaters.

It would certainly help if you had more information on which models of both the Payne and that Amana systems are being quoted.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

As others. Unless your electric rate is only $0.02 per kilowatt total. Spend the extrat money on the heat pump. Depending what area you live in, your talking some very big savings in th e heating by doing so.

I'd get a 13 SEER heat pump, before a 14 SEER A/C. Unless your heating season is real short.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?