Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

window opening type A/C units

Hi, I am a commercial, electrician who would like to know if any of the window hole type units are better than others. As I only do commercial jobs I never see these unless it is installed for a teeny office in one corner of a metal warehouse building. Do any of the big brands that I see (and provide power to) on commercial jobs make these things? Like Trane, Carrier, Lenox etc? I saw a 24,500 BTU unit made by LG at Home depot, nice price but is it a good unit? I finally built my dream 12' x 30' x 40' Butler Building shop in my back yard and am thinking about a/c for it. 102 degrees today.

go with a mini split, more reliable and a lot more efficient
    You can't fix stupid

And you only have to drill a 3" hole instead of a huge square hole or a window

I was wondering about those

mini splits, but I've only seen very small ones like for a telecomm room .what size is appropriate for 1440 cubic feet space? it has the insulation package walls and ceiling, Northern California Valley sees 100 degrees plus from now til late august, sometimes october. 20 to 30 percent humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    go with a mini split, more reliable and a lot more efficient
    window-shakers are outdated[get with the times,man!!!!!]
    mini split all the way
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

you can get a mini up to around 40 ton now so the skies the limit!! Call a contractor you work with they can hook you up. My guesstimate would be a 2 1/2 ton go with an inverter type, Fujitsu,Mitsubishi, Diakin
    You can't fix stupid

Thanks for responding without putdown lingo

like that other guy. I don't know the tin-knocker lingo and trade like you guys don't know my sparky stuff. Like I said, I only work on Commercial, Industrial, and Agricultural projects as an electrician. The window unit was cheap ($399) and 24,500 BTU, said it was good for up to 1560 square feet, but what do i know? not my field, so I asked. I've provided power for a couple of Mitsubishi units, they say Mr Slim on them. I was wondering if Trane makes mini splits ? Have good relationship with local Trane guys I work with a lot. But I'd rather have the very best I can get regardless of brand. I live in Chico, CA. work for Agri Electric.

How many hours per week will the A/C in your shop run? The mini-split may be much more efficient, but you may never recover the added price unless you have to run the unit a lot.

Bill

is your shop well iinsulated -- esp on ceiling?
    tripple pane windows?
    shaded?

will you be partitioning?

as stated, hard to beat a 'drop-in unit' on sale --
    but, depends upon your elec rate & usage & comfort desired --
    a couple of ceiling fans will help with window- shaker
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

It has 4" blanket inulation on ceiling and walls, no windows, 2 roof vents, no shade, no partitions, solar reflective "Arctic White" exterior color on roof and walls, can place unit or compressor on North side where sun will never hit it. I'm seeing mini-splits on Ebay, but am unfamiliar with brand names and reputations for quality/durability of the items listed there. Are there some brands to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by shuntripper View Post
    like that other guy. I don't know the tin-knocker lingo and trade like you guys don't know my sparky stuff. Like I said, I only work on Commercial, Industrial, and Agricultural projects as an electrician. The window unit was cheap ($399) and 24,500 BTU, said it was good for up to 1560 square feet, but what do i know? not my field, so I asked. I've provided power for a couple of Mitsubishi units, they say Mr Slim on them. I was wondering if Trane makes mini splits ? Have good relationship with local Trane guys I work with a lot. But I'd rather have the very best I can get regardless of brand. I live in Chico, CA. work for Agri Electric.
    I bet these guys do know the terms you use

Mitsubishi works very good so does Quietside from carrier's brand .

Carrier makes both through-the-wall units & mini-splits. It might be hard to justify the cost of the mini-split unless your electric costs are very high and you plan on using the a/c alot. If you buy the mini-split right it might be your best bet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast