Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Columbia, IL
    Posts
    13

    Geocomfort vs Water Furnace

    All,

    I am pretty close to deciding to go geothermal in a new 7000 sqare foot house. I have been reading a great deal on the forum and it seems that Water Furnace is by far the most popular product in this space. The HVAC contractor that I am the most comfortable with (worked with on my current house for 20+ years) does not sell Water Furnace but they do sell Geo Comfort. I know until recently Geo Comfort private labeled Water Furnace, but they supposedly are manufacturing their own system. Does anybody have any thoughts on the relative merits of the two systems? Should I be concerned about the relatively new offering of Geo Comfort's own system? Another thing that concerns me is Geo Comfort does not provide their own warranty they basically are providing a warranty through a 3rd party which in my past experiences a 3rd party is nearly as invested in your satisfaction as is the original manufacturer.

    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also are there any other manufacturers I should be considering?

    Bryan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    12,910
    Twilli has a water furnace and has had no problems in 10 years
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern Indiana
    Posts
    114

    Talking

    Attaboy Twilli you tell em!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    885

    Thumbs up

    IMO, Waterfurnace.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    305
    You're gonna spend some money aren't you?!?!

    Does the system your guy wants to install ARI rated?

    Does your installer IGSHPA certified?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    6

    Cool GeoComfort vs Waterfurnace

    OK, boy's let’s get this straight, Oct. 2007 Enertech Inc. bought Hydron Module in S.D. And now is currently Building the New GeoComfort (no longer manufactured by WFI) It does have a AHRI rating, look up Enertech Manufacturing, GeoComfort, 024,030,036,048,060 ...
    GeoComfort have a Higher output than WFI, The 5 ton GT060 output is 2000 btu's less than WFI's 6 Ton GT072 Also has a Manufacture warranty not 3rd party!**
    10years Ref. circuit 5 years all parts and 2 years labor. If you would like any other comparison let me know.
    Last edited by phabighorst; 05-21-2008 at 09:29 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by phabighorst View Post
    OK, boy's let’s get this straight, Oct. 2007 Enertech Inc. bought Hydron Module in S.D. And now is currently Building the New GeoComfort (no longer manufactured by WFI) It does have a AHRI rating, look up Enertech Manufacturing, GeoComfort, 024,030,036,048,060 ...
    GeoComfort have a Higher output than WFI, The 5 ton GT060 output is 2000 btu's less than WFI's 6 Ton GT072 Also has a Manufacture warranty not 3rd party!**
    10years Ref. circuit 5 years all parts and 2 years labor. If you would like any other comparison let me know.
    Just visited your web site, The stuff sure looks like waterfurnace to me! Even uses some of the same model names as waterfurnace. And same cabnets, How come the warranty is less then what comes from waterfurnace? 10 year all parts including refer. 10 year labor allowance. On most residential units from waterfurnace.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas (Plano), TX
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by phabighorst View Post
    ... Manufacture warranty not 3rd party! ...
    What does this mean?

    And does the meaning vary as a function of the specific GeoComfort model selected versus a specific WaterFurnace model selected (i.e., Envision)?

    Many thanks.

    Best regards,

    Bill

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,467

    Question 3rd party warranties?

    Basically it is a warranty carried by a third party, many times an insurance company specializing in warranties. But you've got to remember that SOME times these companies make the most money from going out of business, and not honoring the warranties sold. Anyone who has been in the HVAC business over 5 years or so can attest to the failure of "third party warranty" companies. However (again) the manufacturer may also get bought out, or whatever and then may not be around to honor the warranty either. Warranties are sometimes gambles, but in my experience I would trust a manufacturer's warranty much further than a "third party".

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    6

    Looks the same NOT

    Quote Originally Posted by geodude View Post
    Just visited your web site, The stuff sure looks like waterfurnace to me! Even uses some of the same model names as waterfurnace. And same cabnets, How come the warranty is less then what comes from waterfurnace? 10 year all parts including refer. 10 year labor allowance. On most residential units from waterfurnace.
    Yes its a White cabnet, but not the same. Notice GeoComfort has onlt 1 System light not 6 and loops come in on the left side not right like Waterfurnace. GeoComfort also has a 10 year all parts waranty Option. from the factory. Paul

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas (Plano), TX
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by phabighorst View Post
    ... GeoComfort also has a 10 year all parts waranty Option. from the factory. Paul
    But doesn't WaterFurnace also offer a 10 year, all parts, from the factory, warranty option?

    How is the GeoComfort warranty option different from what WaterFurnace offers?

    Many thanks.

    Best regards,

    Bill

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by a0128958 View Post
    But doesn't WaterFurnace also offer a 10 year, all parts, from the factory, warranty option?

    How is the GeoComfort warranty option different from what WaterFurnace offers?

    Many thanks.

    Best regards,

    Bill
    Yes, they both ofer 10year all parts warranty, GeoComfort has a lager labor allowance, to dealers, if needed.Hopfully not.
    regards,
    Paul

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas (Plano), TX
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by phabighorst View Post
    Yes, they both ofer 10year all parts warranty, GeoComfort has a lager labor allowance, to dealers, if needed.Hopfully not.
    regards,
    Paul
    Thank you.

    Best regards,

    Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event