SEER rating smoke and mirrors?

Hi, I am considering some ductless Heat Pump AC units. THE Samsung AVQ09JA I was quoted on has a SEER rating of 20. The Panasonic CSE09EKK is rated at 17 and the Carrier 38MVQ009-1 is rated at 10. IS there a large real world difference in these units? Do any have the build quality of the Mitsubishi or Fujitsu that some forum members have said are "High Quality"

Opinions appreciated. I am being quoted on two seperate 9000 BTU systems rather than 1 split system, as the installer says it is preferable than running lines an extra 40 feet? IS this accurate? Pros and Cons to a double system vs split system welcome.

That Carrier SEER rating better be a typo, or else they're selling you a old unit.

You won't see any real savings between a 17 and a 20 SEER. 5 10 dollars a year, if your in a high heat area.

Depends how long that exrta 40' makes the total line set length. For the most part, 2 indoors and one outdoor works fine.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

carrier does not sell 38 MVQ

[QUOTE=Bob Slater;1860449]Hi, I am considering some ductless Heat Pump AC units. THE Samsung AVQ09JA I was quoted on has a SEER rating of 20. The Panasonic CSE09EKK is rated at 17 and the Carrier 38MVQ009-1 is rated at 10. IS there a large real world difference in these units? Do any have the build quality of the Mitsubishi or Fujitsu that some forum members have said are "High Quality"

The 38 MVQ 9000 btus is not sold unless someone has old stock. That is a 10 Seer unit.

You can get 38 QRV 13seer puron for out door Inverter technology
    you can get 40 QNQ 13 seer puron indoor high wall duct
    you can get 38 QRF 13 seer puron out door
    Do it right the first time.

Thanks for the info. Is the Samsung and Panasonic the equivalent of the brands I have heard of...namely Mitsubishi? Are there big differences in component quality, serviceability, parts availability? Thanks, Bob.

I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Slater View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is the Samsung and Panasonic the equivalent of the brands I have heard of...namely Mitsubishi? Are there big differences in component quality, serviceability, parts availability? Thanks, Bob.
    Probable beenthere or someone else can aswer that better than me. I like mitusabishi, LG and Carrier. they are the only ones we carry but it is more important to get someone who is repuatable and you think you can trust.

Well, selling 10 year old stuff is not impressing me. I noticed the copyright on the Carrier brochure is 1999.

The Mitsubishi has a solid reputation. Don't get caught up on SEER rating, you have to look at the EER.

SEER is like the sticker on a new car that says it gets 20 miles to the gallon.
    EER is the actual mileage achieved which rarely matches window sticker.

Having said that, there won't be a nickels difference in the end.

Parts availabilty of any brand varies by the area.

When I do mini's, I use mostly Samsung and Sanyo. I find them reliable.
    Contractor locator map

No not that old

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Slater View Post
    Well, selling 10 year old stuff is not impressing me. I noticed the copyright on the Carrier brochure is 1999.
    The product is not that old, just brochure copyright was done in 1999. They stop selling them a year ago or so. But he should have told you that it is old stock and not up to todays standards 13 seer.

Its not that old, but it is at least 2+ years old.
    Contractor locator map

Personally, I think there are only 2 manufactures of mini-split systems out there, they just put 15 different names on them. (Kind of like VCR's)

I have installed Mitsubishi's and Sanyo. I have also installed an "Emerald-Air" mini-split, which was remarkably similar to a Sanyo

Both Mr Slim and Sanyo are very reliable, and fairly easy to install. I like 'em both
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Thread-jack.

Used to work for Sears many moons ago fixing TV's. Sears sold a TV with their name on it, but made by Sanyo. This one poor guy had so much trouble with his TV (made by Sanyo) he said he is going to through his "Sears" TV in the trash and buy a "Sanyo". I did not have the heart to tell him he already had a Sanyo.

Nothing to do with the mini splits, but just reminded me of the funny story.