Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Apartment Air Conditioner Noise

Hey there, I am not sure that I am in the correct forum but I will start here.

I live on the top floor of a 3 story apartment and the air conditioning units are on the roof top. When my neighbors below air conditioners come on, I get this loud roar, like an airplane sound in my apartment. As soon as their units shut off, my unit jolts and there is a rumbling sound in my apartment.

I thought that the noise was coming from my hot water heater room and maintenance came cover and said that the noise was coming from the units on the roof top. Also, they discovered that there is a pipe coming down from the roof top to vent the hot water room and you can look up and see daylight. Of course, the top is made in such a way that birds or such can not come in.

The noise is just so loud from the units and I'd like to know what can be done to help alleviate it. Can they adjust anything on the unit to lessen the noise? It is really loud at night and is not a nice noise; rather, a rough one.

Any advice will be appreciated.

May or may not be something they can do. It depends what is causing the unit to make the noise. Would have to be there and know what is causing it.
    Many apartment complexs won't do anything major to stop noise. If you think your complex is different, ask the office when they are going to fix it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    May or may not be something they can do. It depends what is causing the unit to make the noise. Would have to be there and know what is causing it.
    Many apartment complexs won't do anything major to stop noise. If you think your complex is different, ask the office when they are going to fix it.
    Thank you for your quick response. The aparments are very expensive in that my 595 Square Ft appartment is $1040 per month and some units go as high at $3000 per month. I am moving into a new unit 3 doors down the hall in a couple of days (need more space) and I am hoping that the loud noise is only in my current unit.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that there were actually 2 ventilation pipes coming down to my apartment and one was supposedly closed off last week. They were not sure why I had 2 pipes in my hot water room. There is also a 3rd pipe for the outtaking of air. So in essence, I have 3 holes from the roof top coming into my hot water room.

Cross your fingers the noise isn't in the new apartment too.

Can't tell you why there are 3 pipes. Could be one ran to the apartment under you at one time.
    Contractor locator map

Cross your fingers the noise isn't in the new apartment too.

Can't tell you why there are 3 pipes. Could be one ran to the apartment under you at one time.
    I know, me too. It's just the most obnoxious noise and it seems to penetrate my tv as well as the water fountain nicer noise when I have my french doors are opened.

I am hoping that since my new apartment is in the middle of the building and not near the end like I am now, any noise will be more bearable.

Regards,
    Aarondawg

By the way, I am in Charlotte, NC.

Apartments up here, go for a bite less then down there.
    Contractor locator map

Apartments up here, go for a bite less then down there.
    Yep, we have many new folks from the NE down here now. Mainly Upstate NY, and Eastern IN and OH.

Question: Do you think that moving into the center of my building will help reduce the noise? The new unit is vacate so I may leave work early today, have them make me a key and go inside to see. My current place has already been rented.

Thanks for communicating. As you have probably now drawn the conclusion, the noise has really been bothering me.

I've been on rooves where the HVAC equipment is mostly in the center of the building, and others where it is spread out.
    So its hard to tell if its a good move or not.
    If you can get in and listen for a while, thats a good idea. Keeping inmind, that not all the units will run at the same time.
    Contractor locator map

I've been on rooves where the HVAC equipment is mostly in the center of the building, and others where it is spread out.
    So its hard to tell if its a good move or not.
    If you can get in and listen for a while, thats a good idea. Keeping inmind, that not all the units will run at the same time.
    Thank you. It's fine as long as the other units are not on. A lot of my neighbors travel lots so maybe my new ones will be some of those.

What bldg if I may ask?

Sounds like uptown prices.

PostPark in Phillips Place. Southpark. Do you reside in Charlotte?

Yeah in 4th ward in uptown. I live next to a Post property. They are usually pretty good about fixing problems have they ignored a request or have you made one?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Yeah in 4th ward in uptown. I live next to a Post property. They are usually pretty good about fixing problems have they ignored a request or have you made one?
    Cool Big John. Well when the first guy came in a few weeks ago, he did not hear a noise and I told him to check the hot water heater. He said that hot water heater was fine. He then checked the downstairs unit and advised that the air conditioner was frozen up and maybe that was causing the problem. Well, it wasn't and the guy went out sick.

Last week, I met the lead engineer, he went up on the roof, turned on a unit and the noise started. He called up another guy to come to my place while he was on the roof and that guy determined that I had 3 open pipes coming to my water heater room. 2 for fresh air and 1 for return. He stuck his hand in one of the pipes' end and the noise was reduced.

I am getting ready to sign a new lease and I just can't live with that noise, especially, if it's also in my new apartment that I will be moving into on Friday, 3 doors down the hall.

There has got to be a fix that will reduce the noise that is resonating from my hot water heater room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast