Power outage- Kaboom

Power here at home went out. 30 seconds later there was a large Kaboom.

I thought well it is going to be out for a while. one minute later it is on. checked with the wife out front. she said the kaboom came from over by the High School. Bet night classes are cancled.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Quote Originally Posted by snipe70e View Post
    Power here at home went out. 30 seconds later there was a large Kaboom.

I thought well it is going to be out for a while. one minute later it is on. checked with the wife out front. she said the kaboom came from over by the High School. Bet night classes are cancled.
    Transformer explosion?

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Transformer explosion?
    That or cap. I could not because there are houses between us and the school.

Ah, they were conducting evening electrical courses again.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

We had a pole insulator go south last summer just up the street...

...lit up like the 1st of July... Okay, maybe the 4th for a couple of others here

Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

What school was that by snipe???????

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    What school was that by snipe???????
    Andrew Hill High School On Capitol at Senter

January of 2008, a kboom at the plant. Everything went down, even the coffee pot. Things got loud when the flares went off. The investigation followed. Investigators think that a bird picked up a wire and dropped it over the substation where the pow came from.

Some you never forget... I was 20-22 storeys up, starting a couple of 130 ton RTUs on Metcalfe or Bank Street in Ottawa in July of '85 and as the pump down switch for the first or second stage came on, I heard the contactor pull in and at the same time I heard a huge explosion behind the building and everything went dead. I never heard the compressor actually start. Apparantly, a tranformer on the second floor of an above ground parking garage behind the tower chose that moment to let go... Took out most of downtown Ottawa. All I heard was sirens for the next hour. The next day everything ran up fine.

To this day, I still wonder if that 35hp comp was the straw that broke that transformer's back. It's an awful wierd feeling to think something you did might have just put the capital city of a country out of commission.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

bet it was a newbie trying to charge a small air cooled chiller by suction pressure and he didnt have water flowing. Eventually got enough liquid in there by using bottle warmers that she blew!

The one that I remember the most happen 15 years ago. I was west on Tully by Senter RD and the lights went out. They came back on and about 10 seconds a Cap on a pole blew about 2 miles away straight in front of me. Brightest light I have ever seen. I could see the whole valley for a few seconds then every light went out.

Heck I had something like that happen to me as well. Back when I was in the Air Force, got sent out on a no A/C call at the base gas station. Found one blown fuse in the disconnect, checked the compressor to make sure it wasn't shorted out. replaced the fuse and turned it on.

It ran about 5 seconds and we heard this big pop, and people yelling "what the.....?". Needless to say the comp fried and tripped the main panel breaker, shutting down the entire stations gas pumps, registers and everthing.

Our shop NCO laughed his behind off when we told him what happened. And said there wasn't much we could have done without a checking it with a megger. Which we didn't have at the time, after that it didn't take long to get one.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

2nd job I had in the field put me in a new supermarket starup with me being green as hell, boss says take this 3/4" insulated allen wrench and torque the main lugs down on that sub panel for the compressor house

Now at this time I was nieve and trusting and never heard of a voltage checker, boss said the power was off. So I start tightening the lugs down....
    Next thing I remember is waking up on the other side of the room with paramedics checking me out and missing my eyebrows,lashes and some crispy hair in front
    You can weld aluminum to steel, I have the wrench with 2 main lugs welded together. Needless to say that was my last day with that company,I had just a few choice words for the boss after that and informed him that I'm applying for unemployement and if he fights it he'll be going to court.

(I shoulda sued him)
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, for the ungratefull, have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Refrigeration is all the same weather your making Ice, refrigerating or freezing the product.