Angry Need help to track time for billing

I have purchased my fathers company. I have worked her since I got out of school in 1992. This should be a profitable company but it is not at this time. I know were its all going we are paying it in labor and not billing for the right amount of labor to the customer or billing them at all. I need to know how to how you keep track of all the guys hours and make sure the customer gets bill. I need a way to track these guys and make them responsible for getting things invoiced. I quess make them show me there hours. Say joe has 40 hour on his time card but i cant tell if he billed for 40 hour or 10 hours to the customer. See we do alot of work that we cannot leave a bill as it is a apartment complex or a gas station. I really need some help here if you any ideas it would really help. Thanks guys

Sorry for the spelling in a hurry

You need a work order form. Or an invoice sheet can also be used.
    Have them list all material and hours on each WO/Invioce, and have the customer sign.
    When you do payroll, compare these sheets to the time cards.

If your not getting all the hours reported, your not getting all the material reported either.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You also need work order numbers unique to each work order - these can double as a purchase order number

your time cards should reflect a work order number beside each entry

non billable hrs should alos have a number

basicly everything should be tracked in this manner

all packing slips from a supplier (this includes equipment orders) should have the appropiate work order number issued by you 1st to your tech or by you directly to the sulpplier
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

put your tech's on performance pay and see an amazing increase in billing and turnover
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Get your pro membership and log onto the small business forum. More advice there than you can ever pay for.

Welcome aboard.
    R2B4BTU

went flat rate 3 years ago. haven't looked back since. numbered invoices, with time arrived,time departed etc. you can also pay incentives,production bonuses etc.

Some of the customers are used to getting a "deal" and that is why they are with you. Be sure that the customer is getting value, but then bill for the hours. If the customer is not getting value, be careful or you may lose a few that you need to keep. You are walking a tight-rope. Make gradual changes unless some customer's account is way out of line.

The employees should account for every hour every day. Conversely, be aware that you may be liable for over-time etc. You have to keep wage and hour records or else.

If you give incentives, every customer may need a new system. Again, the honest middle of the road is the best way in the long-run. For incentives, do not promise too much to the employees. Greed does funny things to some people, and the business owner will be the one that must stand behind the work and the one that needs a continuing relationship with the customer.

Bill

Can you tell me more about about performance based pay. See all my tech also install so there is no install or service department here. How would that work?

Exclamation Timecard

Sounds like you need to start to take some trade business classes to get your company to the next level. Some trade groups that can get on the write path Excellance Alliance, BDR, The Act Group, and probably even your equipment manufactor's are now offering more and more clases.

Another possibility is to get computerized with a good dispatching software, so you can reconcile invoices against timecard.

Every invoice needs to be checked by someone in the office like the service manager, to make sure all materials and time is accounted for. Timecards should then be checked at the same time along with the invoices before they go in to payroll.

before I make any judgement, let me ask you. How are things done now?

Since you've been there since '92, you must know how your father made a profit. Did you ask him since he's run this business? Or did you buy it and say "watch this"?
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

www.Nebs.com makes business forms that you might need.

Back when I was working off a service van a few years ago we used to fill out tickets for the work done. And then our time card had to reflect what the work orders said.

Im sure there are computer programs that can automate all this into one system, whereas your billing, time cards ect are all linked together.