Did I get a shoddy install?

Hi, I was hoping you guys could give me your opinion. I live in the Tampa area and I recently had a new central air system put in last month. The inspector came last week and failed the job they did because they had the wrong circuit breaker installed. So they came the other day and changed that. My wife mentioned that they did something as well with one of the tubes going to the air handler.

So yesterday I was taking a closer look at things and I notice all this tape all over the place falling off and water dripping. Now I don't know anything about hvac but this looks like crap to me. Please take a look at the pics below and let me know if this is a shoddy install or if this is standard procedure. I can't imagine using tape for something like this and even then it is falling off.

I have called them to come back and fix this before the inspector returns and fails us again and we waste another day off from work.

Please take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

looks like they went into it with good intentions and a crappy roll of foam tape.

they should give it another shot with a different brand of tape.

It looks functional however the txv (the thing dripping) needs to be inside the air handler. I wouldn't be very proud of this tho. Why is there tape all over the cover? I didn't understand that.

We better ask Plexus before we turn this into an installer bashing thread.....
    (sorry pheenix11 inside joke)

Gotta agree....looks like good intentions gone wrong. I usually try to use silicone where I can for neatness, and they should have just taken a little more time with the foam tape.

How has it been working for you??
    I need a new signature.....

Their ears must have been burning because a guy just showed up. He used a tar like tape to completely cover the txv and that whole area where the tape fell off.

Why the guys before him didn't use the same thing I have no idea. It looks a lot better now, that tar tape doesn't look like its going anywhere and is molded to it.

It has been working pretty well. We keep the thermostat pretty low around 69-70 because the bedroom is always a couple degrees warmer than the rest of the house. We also have a lanai with closed jealousy windows that has the sliding door cracked for the cats so until I can find a door for them to seal it off I think we are losing a lot there.
    Last edited by pheenix11; 05-12-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by super_tech_1 View Post
    It looks functional however the txv (the thing dripping) needs to be inside the air handler.
    The TXV is installed where the manufacturer provided fittings to install it, it can't really be moved without modifying the air handler, nor does it need to be moved, it is fine there.
    The body of the valve, and the pipe between the valve and the air handler, need to be insulated to prevent the formation of condensation.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The TXV is installed where the manufacturer provided fittings to install it, it can't really be moved without modifying the air handler, nor does it need to be moved, it is fine there.
    The body of the valve, and the pipe between the valve and the air handler, need to be insulated to prevent the formation of condensation.
    True but some brands have internal TXVs.

Where is the air handler located,attic,garage,conditioned space??

They should have used tubing insulation and some tie straps to cover the txv.

LOL

OMG

Looks like an install callback I just went on today.
    Yup, try to save a buck on foam tape and you get bucked.
    I like the aux drain cut off switch.

I guess they were not Union.. J/K I know there are shady Union guys too. It looks pretty bad. But that does not meen it will not work correctly. You shoulf not have water leaking out anywhere other than into the drain. Looks like they were low bid right??