Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: how to keep birds etc out of exhaust pipe

Post Likes
    This has been used for years by Trane.

Never seen any birds in these.

Also, I think having the intake pipe going outside will make the furnace more quiet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    This has been used for years by Trane.

Never seen any birds in these.

Also, I think having the intake pipe going outside will make the furnace more quiet.
    Oh I have!!! they love em, looks just like a birdhouse. Not too many, but I have pulled lots of nest out of all kinds of venting, worst seem to be
    Class B out the side wall on garage heater. How the hell those swallows get in the high winds caps I will never know, but at Frontenac Golf course I pull one out every fall.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    Oh I have!!! they love em, looks just like a birdhouse. Not too many, but I have pulled lots of nest out of all kinds of venting, worst seem to be
    Class B out the side wall on garage heater. How the hell those swallows get in the high winds caps I will never know, but at Frontenac Golf course I pull one out every fall.
    Well, better quit putting birdfood in there! Unless Steve is doing it to make a service call for you guys. :-)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
    thanks t527 guess im glad I didnt get you to quote it,lol really i understand but again I have talked to MANY experts including Rheem and no issues, hope it works out. Just curious what you see as the major problem doing it ?

Dont majority of furnaces take inside air ? Many here have told me they see a good share of single pipe systems ????
    Oh well thanks just the same

when you take contaminants from inside air and burn them you change the chemical compounds. then you are going to condense it in the secondary heat exchanger and have that stuff eating the furnace from the inside out. just because it is stainless does not make it indestructable.

the other ongoing problem you will hace is build up from the contaminents on the flame sensor that will have to be removed and cleaned on a regular basis. on a 90+ furnace this can be a real pita.

majority of furnaces that use inside air are 80% efficiency furnaces and they don't form condensation if working properly.

Post Likes
    the other ongoing problem you will hace is build up from the contaminents on the flame sensor that will have to be removed and cleaned on a regular basis. on a 90+ furnace this can be a real pita.

majority of furnaces that use inside air are 80% efficiency furnaces and they don't form condensation if working properly.

Won't have to clean the flame sensor on a 90% using ID air, anymore then on a 80% using ID air.

Post Likes
    Just wrap a rubber snake around the exhaust pipe....problem solved. The mesh is for insects...
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

Won't have to clean the flame sensor on a 90% using ID air, anymore then on a 80% using ID air.

yea but i can clean the 80% sensor in about 10 seconds...

some of the 90's can be a challenge to get to.

Post Likes
    wow, 87 posts about a pipe..

I think she said the house was built in 1955? If this is the case, then there's loads of makeup air. Shoot, you could probably move the exhaust inside and not notice a difference. (That would solve the bird problem too. Bonus!)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smokin68 View Post
    Just wrap a rubber snake around the exhaust pipe....problem solved. The mesh is for insects...
    LMFAO, brings back memories. I told a customer to do this a long time ago to deal with the birds, so he said he would take care of it. Two days later, his wife called at 1am and said the heat was out. I got there and there was this huge friggin rubber rattlesnake stuffed all the way into the vent with just it's head sticking out.

Post Likes
    well I guess im glad I have a 10 yr parts and labor warranty. If inside air was that much an issue I wish the techs at Rheem would know this info

Also out of 3 different reps here and Carrier and Bryant everyone said no problem, we are going to go with it if its a big issue we will have to change it. I have more than enough makeup air my 102k btu oil furnace has been using the inside air for years

I hope my rep knows how to clean the dirty stuff

Post Likes
    well I guess im glad I have a 10 yr parts and labor warranty. If inside air was that much an issue I wish the techs at Rheem would know this info

Also out of 3 different reps here and Carrier and Bryant everyone said no problem, we are going to go with it if its a big issue we will have to change it. I have more than enough makeup air my 102k btu oil furnace has been using the inside air for years

I hope my rep knows how to clean the dirty stuff
    10 yr p&l doesn't cover dirty flame sensors so that won't help ya. But if you have a yearly clean and tune it will be a non issue anyway. BTW get a yearly clean and tune
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    how hard is it to clean this sensor on a 2 stage ?? I asked Rheem and they said it wouldn't get any dirtier than any other furnace and combustion either inside or outside wouldnt matter on the flame sensor ???

Is this something that can be cleaned easy ??

Post Likes
    kind of, they are harder than some, but not as bad as others. Nothing to worry about if you have it serviced.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    how hard is it to clean this sensor on a 2 stage ?? I asked Rheem and they said it wouldn't get any dirtier than any other furnace and combustion either inside or outside wouldnt matter on the flame sensor ???

Is this something that can be cleaned easy ??
    Just have your new stuff serviced once a year and don't sweat the small stuff!!!
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    oh yeah!
    maybe where you are at...
    but here, the homes have more chemicals and lint or whatever they have compared to the fresh air, really making a difference.
    Perhaps it is more polluted out there than here!

Post Likes
    our insdie air is clean here
    Now when Twilli comes over after beans and bacon thats another story

Outside air is clean too. We will see how it wors out thanks again fellas

Post Likes
    If you want to advertise your own product, you must purchase an ad.
    Last edited by HeyBob; 02-15-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Post Likes
    this post is almost 2yrs old..

Please don't bring up a dead post or any post to promote your own product.. If you would like to advertise on this website please contact contracting business..

J

Post Likes
    Rvtweener,

Your web page and contact information have been edited from your user profile, please do not put them back.

If you want to advertise, go Here

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in