Are all elecrtic hot water heaters basicly the smae?

Thinking of replacing my 65 gallon old electric hot water heater with 50 gallon one---kids gone etc.. It seems all the models I have looked at basicly have the same efficiency rating etc. Is there one manufacture that sticks its head above others. yhanks

Short answer, no, they are all the same.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

There are differences in electric water heaters. The main differences are in the anodes used to protect the tank from destruction from electolysis and in the insulation around the tank. There are also minor differences in the electrodes used to heat the water.

A 12 year tank has twice as big an anode. Anodes can be made from either aluminum or magnesium. A 6 year tank has half the anodic protection of the 12 year tank. If you will move within a few years, get the 6 year tank. If you will be there for more than 5 years, get the 12 year tank.

New standards were recently passed for energy efficiency on water heaters. More insulation will have to be added to get an energy star.

Bill

Are they marketed as 12 or 6 year models. I have not seen this approach. How can you tell? Thanks Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ron3637 View Post
    Are they marketed as 12 or 6 year models. I have not seen this approach. How can you tell? Thanks Ron
    They are marketed as 6-year, 9-year, or 12-year water heaters (good, better, best).

Quote Originally Posted by ron3637 View Post
    Thinking of replacing my 65 gallon old electric hot water heater with 50 gallon one---kids gone etc.. It seems all the models I have looked at basicly have the same efficiency rating etc. Is there one manufacture that sticks its head above others. yhanks

There are a few other possibilities

Marathon water heater - expensive, but guaranteed to never leak - and they are really easy to work on.

For the right climate and location, i.e. warm and humid, a heat pump water heater is also a good possibility with considerable energy savings.