Hmm IAQ Temp/Humidity Accuracy

Quick Question:

How much error is acceptable for a new IAQ thermostat?

The IAQ humidity seems off (low) by about 5%, when checked against my digital humitdy sensor and sling psychrometer.

The IAQ temp is high by as much as 3*F depending on temperature (error appears non-linear). It is nearly dead on at 67* and about 3* off at 72*. I haven't seen how much further off beyond that range yet.

I would have thought the stat would be closer (at least in the temp).

Question IAQ Temp/Humidity Accuracy

That does seem high. The accuracy depends upon the device. Check your model number against the data sheet. This would also give you some other info relative to whether or not it is the right part for your application (platinum, nickel, rtd, thermistor, etc).

After touching most digital stats, the temp will be off. Don't forget, the stat is influenced by the wall temp also.

Is the hole behind the stat sealed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Wall

The hole behind the stat is sealed.

For comparison, the electronic sensor was laid against the wall a few inches from the stat. The sling psychrometer was of course flying through the air, but at about the same vertical height as the stat.

Tape teh digital to the wall on top of the IAQ, and see what is says in an hour
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

5% consistant accuracy on humidity is about as good as it gets. Remember RH is calculated based on actual moisture and temperature so if the temperature is off, the RH will also be off, probably twice as far.

RH

I forgot RH could be affected by what temp the stat sees... probably explains the situation somewhat. However, the Humidity error is pretty constant and the temp error varies and seems to increase as room temp increases.

Would the temp offset feature in the stat help with the temp error (even though it is a linear offset)?