Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Installing a Heat Pump in an Enclosed Room - Ventilation Requirements?

I'm looking at installing a Daiken RXS15DVJU heat pump matched with a Daiken FTXS15DVJU wall mount to cool a homeowners small addition to their home. The homeowner would like to install the heat pump in a small (5'X5'X8') room. I see no problem with this so long as the room is ventilated well enough that it maintain as close to ambient temperature as possible. Any guidelines for how many CFM (or air changes per hour) I would need to accomplish this? The unit will output approximately 15,000btu.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I don't even want to comment on this

You want / can install a ventilation for a heat pump/condenser inside a room but don't / can't mount the condenser outside ! ROTFL .

Dont want to be harsh put please post the pictures of install in WOS

Quote Originally Posted by Zeiss Nut View Post
    I don't even want to comment on this

You want / can install a ventilation for a heat pump/condenser inside a room but don't / can't mount the condenser outside ! ROTFL .

Dont want to be harsh put please post the pictures of install in WOS
    Is it really that hard/difficult to believe/understand that a homeowner wouldn't/doesn't want to see/view a condensing unit/heat pump outside, but can/does want to see/view a couple louvers/grilles?

Thanks for the helpful/productive response/reply.

so they want a dehumidifier? Do they realize that the condenser rejects more heat than the evaporator will absorb? You'd be better off not installing anything and just putting a dehumidifier in there considering your warranty is uselsss.

Quote Originally Posted by docholiday View Post
    so they want a dehumidifier? Do they realize that the condenser rejects more heat than the evaporator will absorb? You'd be better off not installing anything and just putting a dehumidifier in there considering your warranty is uselsss.
    No, they want cooling. I think you missed the point...unless the heat pump was in the SAME ROOM as the evaporator, I think that the fact that the heat pump rejects more heat than the evaporator absorbs (i.e., the fact that the system is not 100% efficient) is a moot issue. They want to take heat FROM the office, and dump it outside. However, they don't want to look at the unit (the heat pump) that is dumping the heat, so they would like to conseal it in a room. To make sure the system functions, it is my job to determine how much mechanical assistance is required to bring the heat dumped into the room, outside. Is this really a wild concept?

You'll need more then just louvered grilles.
    You'll need to either use a fan, or turbines to make sure you have your 2000CFM for the condenser.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You'll need more then just louvered grilles.
    You'll need to either use a fan, or turbines to make sure you have your 2000CFM for the condenser.
    I realize this. Hence why I said I'm trying to determine how many "CFM" or "Air Changes per Hour" I will need to provide via "mechanical assistance". I only mentioned louvers when describing what the homeowners will see on the exterior of the building.

Did you inform him, that if there is no interlock between the exhaust fan and condenser, he'll lose the compressor, and that its not covered under warranty in that case.
    Contractor locator map

Did you inform him, that if there is no interlock between the exhaust fan and condenser, he'll lose the compressor, and that its not covered under warranty in that case.
    Yes, I explained that there would have to be an exhaust fan that would be wired to operate whenever the compressor was running - he was fine with that. I'm currently playing phone-tag w/ an engineer at Daiken regarding their specific recommendations for air changes, and warranty issues. From what I've been told so far, there is no problem doing this "so long as the unit sees temperature that are approximately equal to ambient".

Has to be wired that if the fan fails the condenser doesn't run.
    Contractor locator map

Has to be wired that if the fan fails the condenser doesn't run.
    Similar to a combustion air setup on a boiler - gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac d View Post
    I'm looking at installing a Daiken RXS15DVJU heat pump matched with a Daiken FTXS15DVJU wall mount to cool a homeowners small addition to their home. The homeowner would like to install the heat pump in a small (5'X5'X8') room. I see no problem with this so long as the room is ventilated well enough that it maintain as close to ambient temperature as possible. Any guidelines for how many CFM (or air changes per hour) I would need to accomplish this? The unit will output approximately 15,000btu.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    The solution is really quite simple.

Find out the rate of CFM moved by the heat pump’s outdoor unit fan. Match or exceed that # with your ventilation.

Do take into account a few things:

1) You must provide an equal quantity of air infiltration into the room. Just one vent will result in a vacuum, and all kinds of trouble.

2) The air flow must pass sufficiently across the outdoor unit. Just putting two vents in the window at the other end of the room will do little to help.

3) Any failure on the part of the ventilation system will result in a failure of the heat pump.

4) Failing to set the outdoor unit in a location approved by the manufacturer will almost certainly void any warranty. Outdoor units are called “outdoor units” for a reason.

Hope it goes well. Be ready for call-backs.

Glenn

[QUOTE=gplant;1857936]The solution is really quite simple.

Find out the rate of CFM moved by the heat pump’s outdoor unit fan. Match or exceed that # with your ventilation.

Do take into account a few things:

1) You must provide an equal quantity of air infiltration into the room. Just one vent will result in a vacuum, and all kinds of trouble.

Need to move more air then the condenser.
    you have to move enough air through the room to keep the room temp down also.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast