Thread: Need Heat Pump Advice in Florida

Post Likes

Need Heat Pump Advice in Florida

Hi,
    I just recently moved my elderly mother back into her home. The house needed work and I did most of the remodeling myself. However HVAC is not in my vocabulary, and I think we need a new heat pump. It did not heat this winter, and now it is not cooling. It runs constantly, yet with the thermostat set at 75 the temp has not gone below 85, which is about what it is outside.

I need to know a few things. First does anyone here know of any good HVAC companies in this area ( Hudson, New Port Richey ) I don't trust the company who installed the existing Tempstar unit. It was installed in 2003. My folks were very trusting, they assumed you call someone and they will do it right, but it never really worked very well. The existing unit, is a 2 ton Heat Pump ( unfortunately that's all I know ) last fall, while working on the house I noticed it wasn't cooling. So I called the company that installed it. They said it had a leak somewhere in the return line. They recharged it, and it worked for one day. I was rather put back by the price of the service call. They gave me an estimate on replacing the line, it seemed a bit high. I asked a neighbor, and they suggested a different contractor. They came out, gave me an estimate of $500 less, and said it would only take an hour or two replace the line. The original company said it would take a crew at least one whole day to do it. They replaced the line and made sure it was fully charged and still it was half than the other estimate. However they told me that for a house this size (approximately 1300 SF), concrete block and poorly insulated that the unit wasn't really sufficient, and the compressor would eventually burn itself out.
    They did not try to sell me a new one. Just mentioned that when I did get around to replacing it, I should get the home checked out first to see what size was needed.

According to my mom, the original company told them the Temp Star was top of the line, and they suggested it. ( at the time, I was told it wasn't but avoided arguing with my Dad as he trusted the contractor )

OK, now my next question. In this climate, what would you suggest? What brand? What size?

We do not have a huge amount of cash, but I don't want to go the "cheapest" road and end up with something that either needs constant repairing, or simply doesen't cool and heat sufficiently. The current unit has done neither. It runs and runs without either cooling or heating. So I am open to suggestions. My mom is 88 years old, and I really need to get this done soon.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Weather 2 tons is enough or not, can't tell from here for sure, but it sounds a little small from your description.

Depending what model Tempstar, it has a very good warranty. And the upper line tempstars are high quality units.

I would find out whats wrong, and proceed from there. The leak may never have been fixed right. Maybe they have a leak at one of their braze joints. If so, most companies will fix it at their cost.

Find out whats wrong this time. then come back and ask questions.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    I would definately find out what's wrong and the cost to repair before replacing,if it's the correct size.

When it was new,did it cool well enough in the summer?If so it's large enough.

We are located in Crystal River and New Port Richey,so just north and south of your parents.My e-mail is in my Profile ,along with other contact info..,if we can help.

Post Likes
    Normally, I like to bust Dash's stones, but the reality is, he may well be a great option if he does work in your area. His crews have integrity and understand your real concerns. They dont just sell boxes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I would definately find out what's wrong and the cost to repair before replacing,if it's the correct size.

When it was new,did it cool well enough in the summer?If so it's large enough.

We are located in Crystal River and New Port Richey,so just north and south of your parents.My e-mail is in my Profile ,along with other contact info..,if we can help.
    I don't know for sure whether it worked well at all. They were always "playing around" with the thermostat. When I visited it was never really cooling very well, but I assumed my father had screwed up the settings. Back then he had early Alzheimers. Since last summer, I know it did not cool properly, and this winter it barely raised the temperature a hair over sixty five when we had our cold spells.

FYI I contacted Tempstar and got the specs.Model #NHP024AKCI
    Mac cooling btuh-22400
    Max heating btuh-23000
    Seer Label 10
    Factory Chg R-22 ozs 98
    Last edited by Ken in Hudson; 05-12-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: new info

Post Likes
    I'd call the last company as they repaired the leak and it apparently still leaks.It may be leaking in a different place,but hopefully they may "adjust" their charges since they repaired the leak.

FYI,if they did the leak repair correctly,there should not have been a second leak at that time.Of course it's hard to tell now when the second leak occured.Let us know where the leak is now,if it has one.

A Man. J load calculation is the only way to know if the system is large enough,adding insulation to attic will reduce the size needed.

Post Likes
    Standard unit, not the high end. But they were reliable.
    Poor sizing and installs can cause trouble withj any brand.

Post Likes

Heat Pump inspected-recharged

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I'd call the last company as they repaired the leak and it apparently still leaks.It may be leaking in a different place,but hopefully they may "adjust" their charges since they repaired the leak.

FYI,if they did the leak repair correctly,there should not have been a second leak at that time.Of course it's hard to tell now when the second leak occured.Let us know where the leak is now,if it has one.

A Man. J load calculation is the only way to know if the system is large enough,adding insulation to attic will reduce the size needed.
    Im not sure just what you meant by Man J load.

However, here is what happened. Senica came out today. He tested the system and said it was down, but not empty. According to the tech, there must be a leak in the coil somewhere. He said it obviously isn't that bad, as it hadn't all leaked out. It took approx 2 lbs 10 oz. and he found a leak at the valve on the compressor, he replaced that. ( didn't charge for the valve ). He said that he still thought there was a leak somewhere in the coil, but it should last the summer. He said it's up to me what to do, as recharging it each is cheaper than replacing the whole system, and it could last awhile. He quoted replacing the coil would be arount $1000. A new system about $3000 plus he suggested an added air intake in the hall. He said our sidewall, floor intake is not really enough for a newer unit. It's a 1973 house.
    He gave me a quote on a new Payne heat pump.( I asked for one ) He explained that it is a contractor model, Carrier sells at a lower price. He said that is the "basic" system, they use. ( he suggested that because I said the house isn't worth spending a lot of money on--we have a sinkhole and had our insurance cancelled ) Under Florida law, we could not sell the home for full price, unless the sinkhole was stabilized and that would cost more than we have. So I do not want to make any top of the line improvements.

According to the tech, it shouldn't leak that bad. He said that it probably leaked when we used it in heat mode, during the winter. Something about different pressure, under heat mode ( my use of words not his ) He tried explaining it all to me. I don't absorb technical stuff very well. So I guess we will see what happens, and if it lasts the summer -- make a decision this Fall.

Post Likes
    They make leak detecters. He should have checked where the leak really is, and advised you after knowing where the leak is.

Post Likes

Don't know why

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    They make leak detecters. He should have checked where the leak really is, and advised you after knowing where the leak is.
    He never went into the attic, just checked the outside unit. Hooked up a pressure guage with three sections. He explained them to me, but it honestly went in one ear and out.

I don't know why anyone did not actually check for a leak. Only with the pressure guages, telling me " see the dial jump, theres your leak".

Originally, the other company did the same thing. There were no actual physical inspections of the lines or the coils. They never offered to "fix" the leak, only to replace the return line ( the original leak ) or to suggest that I replace the coils. However he said the price to replace the coils really wouldn't be worth the difference in price versus a new unit with the newer refrigerant, and Seer number.He said it would probably last the season with just a recharge

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Hudson View Post
    He said that is the "basic" system, they use. ( he suggested that because I said the house isn't worth spending a lot of money on--we have a sinkhole and had our insurance cancelled ) Under Florida law, we could not sell the home for full price, unless the sinkhole was stabilized and that would cost more than we have. So I do not want to make any top of the line improvements.
    Wow. You have much more pressing issues than the heat pump.

Best to you.

Post Likes
    The leak should be found and then repaired or replace the unit.

He may have found the only leak at the valve outside.

I'd watch the run time ,a couple of times a week,keep in mind the warmer it is the more it runs.Check ut after sundown,if it starts to increase a lot,have them find the leak,then decide what to do.

Post Likes

Thumbs up Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who answered my questions. I guess I will see how things go. Right now it has been working fine. However we're experiencing a dry spell again. I will see how things go as the humidity and heat increase.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in