Residential HVAC help- 2 story house

Thanks for any help you experts can give. I have a 2 story house approx. 1900 sq ft total. I have supply vents on both floors, two returns on the first floor, none on the second. All of the bedrooms are upstairs and have approx 1 1/2" gap at the bottom of the door. I'm experiencing hot temperatures upstairs in the summer and much (5-10 degrees) cooler in the winter. I'm wondering if installing return vents upstairs will help with this temperature variation. I understand that I may need to reduce the opening area of the return vents downstairs in order to keep the system balanced. Thanks for everyone's input.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by taldridg View Post
    Thanks for any help you experts can give. I have a 2 story house approx. 1900 sq ft total. I have supply vents on both floors, two returns on the first floor, none on the second. All of the bedrooms are upstairs and have approx 1 1/2" gap at the bottom of the door. I'm experiencing hot temperatures upstairs in the summer and much (5-10 degrees) cooler in the winter. I'm wondering if installing return vents upstairs will help with this temperature variation. I understand that I may need to reduce the opening area of the return vents downstairs in order to keep the system balanced. Thanks for everyone's input.

Tim
    You're gonna need to call a qualified service company out to take a look at things for you. This isn't really a DIY site. However, have you tried running your fan all the time? This might help a bit, but when you start talking about adding returns, you really should have someone out there who can actually look at the situation and have them give you some solutions.
    I need a new signature.....

I can tell you that when I added another cold air return to my upstairs landing area in my house it helped tremendously with keeping the upstairs and downstairs temps pretty close in tempature, maybe it's only a 2 or 3 degrees difference now then without the cold air return where it was closer to 10 degrees difference. But it will also depend on your layout of your upstairs. But none the less I am sure it will help more than it will hurt you to not have one upstairs.

Are the bedrooms 10 to 15 degrees warmer weather the doors are open or not.

Adding a return won't hurt. May or may not help enough.
    You may need your system balanced.(might just not be getting enough air to the rooms.)
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The doors are open 95% of the time, doesn't make much difference either way.

Thanks

Adding a return will help alittle in cooling, but not in heating.
    You need your supplies balanced.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by taldridg View Post
    The doors are open 95% of the time, doesn't make much difference either way.

Thanks
    You will likely need duct system changs to get enough supply air to the second floor.

It being too cold in winter and too warm in summer,sounds like lack of supply air.

Adding insulation to the attic will help some,depending on what's there now.

You need a Pro that can do a Manual J,and D to determine the duct changes needed.Ask when calling around,if they can and will do a Man. J and D calculation,if not keep dialing.