Rover Comm4 doesn't comm...

I just bought Rover Comm4 Version 6, for my laptop to use on a site with a bunch of VAV boxes, bypass dampers and such. I was assured by Trane that it should work.

I can not for the life of me establish a connection to the thermostats or the VAV controllers.

The device I have is a small beige box with a USB cable for my laptop, and an RJ11 connection to the stat. I have an option to set 4 DIP switches to RS232 or Comm4. Neither work for communications! I have the option to set my USB port to 1 to 255. This USB box seems to come up on my laptop as Comm Port 15, but no number under 33 works. I tried them all. Then I became tired.

Any suggestions on which way to go with my setup?
    Talking to Trane is less than a rewarding experience.

D'Laine

I'm still running the old PCM card Rover so I can't help....but, how much did the USB Rover cost you? Didi you get the Comm5 capability also?
    Jogas

I haven't used the comm4 usb adapter either, but comm4 is polarity sensitive, did you try switching the wires? The rover kit should come with adequate instructions (at least the v5 software did)

Comm4

Trane doesn't want to depart with Comm5 to certain contractors. I guess a national wide company doesn't qualify. I think the cost was about $700, my supervisor ordered it for me.

I was trying to use the telephone jack in a thermostat, and on a wall mounted panel that handles the vav info. Next I'll to climb into the ceiling and see if I can get directly on a VAV controller with the auxiliary alligator clips.

D.

Pull the cover off of the stat and see if you have anything on 5 and 6. Most people limit the stat drops.

I have the new communications kit running on my computer with Rover 6. The dip switches need to be in the Comm4 position. Plug in the usb device and goto device manager under control panel and see what comm port it has been assigned by windows. When you start rover in the setup option area verify that the comm port matches what windows has set it as. Restart rover and try to scan.
    Does your lights on the adapter flash?
    Do you get a comm port error when opening rover.
    Verify that the thermostats do have comm drops. Try plugging directly into BCU port to clear up any polarity issue.
    Let me know your results and I can assist a bit more.
    Thanks,
    Jeff F.
    www.vfdhelp.com
    VFD, HVAC Motors and Manufacture Assistance.

My area does not do comm drops to the stat period. Too many kids/people knock the stat off and then the comm gets shorted and brings the whole link down. So try at the box or BCU as stated by the other people.