Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fan not blowing

fan not blowing

I noticed that the house wasn't cooling this evening so I started with checking the thermostats on all levels. Everything seemed fine. I went to the basement and realized that the unit outside was working but that the fan part of the system in the basement isn't pushing the air through the ducts. Are there any relatively simple steps to check/do before I need to call in the repairman?

About all you can do is check your breaker. If that isn't it, turn the stat's off or the breaker for the outside unit and call a tech. You don't want that outside unit running when the air handler isn't.

Are there any relatively simple steps to check/do before I need to call in the repairman?
    Yes, brace yourself.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

Any ice on a central air conditioner is a bad sign... shut the a/c off and let the inside fan run for a couple of hours, change your air filter. If that doesn't cure it, call someone.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

I appreciate your helping. I'll do just that - let the professionals handle it!

Quote Originally Posted by model m-man View Post
    About all you can do is check your breaker. If that isn't it, turn the stat's off or the breaker for the outside unit and call a tech. You don't want that outside unit running when the air handler isn't.

If your unit is icing up and the temp is set above 72 in your house and the filter is not dirty you really need to turn the t stat to of and have a service man check the system out,can be lots of things that cause this.It can be a simple fix,or not,like I said if your filter is dirty thats probably caused your prob.Where ya located you might get someone from this sight to check it ,I guess thats leagal,folks that post on this that are pros seem to know there stuff,just from what Ive seen.What I'm tryen to say pro's that are on this sight are really in to heating and cooling and put a lot of there life in it.
    There are three signs of old age.
    The first is your loss of memory,
    the other two I forget.

I've checked the filter system, which is an electro magnetic type system. I changed the acordian filter in this recently so it is very clean and the old filter looked pretty good when i took it out. We recently bought this house which is ten years old. I'm sure this is the original unit and I don't know about average life span. The unit is manufactured by RUDD and is a ten seer unit. I believe the previous owner was in HVAC and from a non professional it seems like a high-tech set up due to the handler having this mutli zone computer board attached to it; which I've turned off along with the entire unit to avoid furhter damage or repair costs. We would keep the t-stat set on 70 at night up stairs and raise it to 73-74 during the day. the main level stays at a constant 73 degrees. I'm locared just north of Atlanta if there are any professionals out there local to the area.

no DIY's

HVAC is not DIY. We have to be licensed to perform this work. You have already done the" check these simple things before you pay a service call".Are you going to go with out A.C. until you figure it out ? We don't want anyone to hurt them selves. Suppose we told you it was a failed part in particular. You made the repair incorrectly, and set your house on fire. We would then be liable. In the forum it specifically says no DIY's. There is a reason for this. Call a reputable mechanical contractor.

Justin

okc reread the post. All the guy did was ask a question check his filter and shut the unit off to prevent further damage. He then said he will call a tech. Calm down dude.

Quote Originally Posted by okctech View Post
    HVAC is not DIY. We have to be licensed to perform this work.

Justin
    Depends on what state your in.

He said he was calling. Did you skip your morning cup of coffee.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

to OKTECH-
    Not sure why I'm even wasting my time to reply - but get off your soap box. If you are not here in an effort to help others beat it!

Thanks to everyone else. I have a tech coming today to check the system out.

Quote Originally Posted by VTXCHRIS View Post
    If you are not here in an effort to help others beat it!
    I guess he told you.

I just hope he doesn't start singing the song.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast