+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what kind of Soft serve machine to buy

Post Likes

Thumbs down what kind of Soft serve machine to buy

Hi,
    I planning to purchase a soft serve machine but not sure whether to purchase a good quality one made by Taylor or the cheaper soft serve machine made in China. However, I do want a good quality fluffy outcome. So does it matter which brand to get or any soft serve machine will result in a good fluffy outcome? Please advise.

Post Likes
    I would recommend the Taylor... they make a really good quality machine... but I really don't have much experience with the made in china ones. I can say that I wouldn't be eating ice cream with lead paint in it though.

Post Likes

Thumbs down what kind soft serve machine to buy

Don,t buy taylor i have worked on them in past. Heat treat suck so bad it never taste that good because milk should not be heated to 160f and cooled off again and again for days and days. To much junk in there to go bad.

Post Likes
    Go with Taylor. As long as you clean your machine and take care of it you will have very few problems. Stoelting makes a good machine also and there product comes out very smooth and fluffy. I say taylor overall

Post Likes
    You get what you pay for. How long are you going to wait for parts for the Chinese model?

Buy the Taylor.

Post Likes
    How about an Edy's/Dreyer's Grand Soft machine?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Also there are certified techs on this forum for the Taylor with intimate working knowledge of the mechanics who can point you in the right direction if something should not work as expected or go wrong. Not sure you can put a $ figure on that, but it might be worth the price difference alone.

Post Likes
    I will agree that Taylor machines break down less often then some other brands on the market, But.......
    I do have a problem with the fact that Taylor has known about the shell leak problem for years and has done nothing to correct it.

Post Likes

Lightbulb

I personally would get a Stoelting. If consistency is an issue, the Stoelting will produce smoother, creamier and more consistent product. They are the only ones with the self-sharpening glides, and all you need do is watch the wear lines on them to know when it's time to replace. They have fewer problems overall than any other manufacturer other than maybe CARPIGIANI or Coldelite as known in US. Problem with Coldelite is parts availibility here...For the buck, you can't beat a Stoelting - that is what most Dairy Queens use - and they have absolutely the nastiest ice cream mix on the planet! If they can turn that stuff into a sellable product, that's doing something... Hope this helps, it's worth what you paid for it at least!

Post Likes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Baja ss View Post
    I will agree that Taylor machines break down less often then some other brands on the market, But.......
    I do have a problem with the fact that Taylor has known about the shell leak problem for years and has done nothing to correct it.
    When you say shell leak problem what specifically are you talking about
    Knowledge comes with experience

Post Likes

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by leonmiller View Post
    I personally would get a Stoelting. If consistency is an issue, the Stoelting will produce smoother, creamier and more consistent product. They are the only ones with the self-sharpening glides, and all you need do is watch the wear lines on them to know when it's time to replace. They have fewer problems overall than any other manufacturer other than maybe CARPIGIANI or Coldelite as known in US. Problem with Coldelite is parts availibility here...For the buck, you can't beat a Stoelting - that is what most Dairy Queens use - and they have absolutely the nastiest ice cream mix on the planet! If they can turn that stuff into a sellable product, that's doing something... Hope this helps, it's worth what you paid for it at least!
    Strange about Dairy Queen. Reason I say that is they were the invetor of "Electro-Freeze".
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Post Likes
    Yes it is...The fact is that DQ will only allow use of Stoelting and Duke in their stores, Speaks volumes for Duke as well!
    Happy holiday friends!!

Post Likes

Cool

All the rest of the restaraunts use Taylor
    Knowledge comes with experience

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nickellhead View Post
    All the rest of the restaraunts use Taylor
    Even "Carvel".

Post Likes
    I like electro freeze

Post Likes
    Off the subject, but curiousity has me. Have any of you run into the machine that blows air (or some gas) into the almost frozen milk product at the time it is drawn? That stuff is NASTY!!! Gotta lotta nerve to call it soft serve!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leonmiller View Post
    Off the subject, but curiousity has me. Have any of you run into the machine that blows air (or some gas) into the almost frozen milk product at the time it is drawn? That stuff is NASTY!!! Gotta lotta nerve to call it soft serve!
    When "Tom Carvel" died new corprate people looked into it before going with Taylor. Decided it was garbage.

Post Likes
    Carvel just switched from Taylor to Electro Freeze. Sonic Drive ins, Old Country Buffets, among the larger chains with Electro Freeze.

Post Likes
    Having been in soft serve equipment for 24 years, I would strongly recommend visiting stands in your area, tasting products. The machine really does make a big difference. Also check the reputation of the Distributor you will be purchasing from. You will, whether you want to or not, have a relationship with that company. Good Luck.

Post Likes
    Been awhile for me. I left just after TC died. Misrable old goat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in