Post Likes

Randell Refrig base

I got a hold of a Randell Refrigerated Chef base. Noticed unit did not cool when plugged in. No service valves so no one has been in it. Installed piercing vavles, hooked up the gauges and found 0 PSI in the system. Pressured up the unit with nitrogen to 150 PSI. Found a leak in the evap coil. Other than the obvious evap replacement, I plan to change the drier as well. I was wondering if there would be an issue with the compressor oil maybe having moisture in it since it was empty. Also, the TXV valve was caked in green oxidation. Never seen this before I was considering replacing it as well. What are you guys thoughts? R-134a system.

Thanks,
    Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    As long as there's no free water in the system and the oil doesn't smell rancid, a good filter-drier like a Sporlan C052 will take care of the moisture in the system and the oil.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    As long as there's no free water in the system and the oil doesn't smell rancid, a good filter-drier like a Sporlan C052 will take care of the moisture in the system and the oil.
    OK, thanks for the info. What about the green corrosion caked on the TXV valve? Maybe too much moisture in around the evaporator?

Post Likes
    Also, which would be a better choice, the Sporlan C-032 or C-052?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas I&C Tech View Post
    OK, thanks for the info. What about the green corrosion caked on the TXV valve? Maybe too much moisture in around the evaporator?
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas I&C Tech View Post
    Also, which would be a better choice, the Sporlan C-032 or C-052?
    The green corrosion you see is from the acids and such kept in the cooler. Since it's a chef's base and not a sandwich prep, I would assume they may store things like marinated beef, pork and/or chicken in there. Just tell them to keep it covered...and then you're covered too.

The size of the filter-drier simply relates to how much moisture it can adsorb, rated in drops of water. There are charts for that either on the box or in the Sporlan website. Remember to account for the additional volume of the drier in your charge amount...especially if it's a cap tube system, but I believe Randell's are TXVs, no?

Post Likes
    Yes, it uses TXV. Thanks for the info.

Post Likes
    I had a similar thing last week. I triple evacuated and put a new drier in it. Been running good since then.

I had the exact same concern