HP Tablet PC... any good?

Been thinking about a tablet PC for a while, and for now, a HP model HPTX2120US seems to be the best bang for the buck (just under 1100 after rebate). Fully loaded with 4gb ram, 250gb HD, webcam, DVD writer/reader, fingerprint reader, WIFI and Bluetooth,and some more stuff... including Vista (no way to avoid that with HP) plus no batteries are required for the pen.

Seems like a good way to move things like daily job reports and listing tickets from a paper mess to something a little more easily organized. Things could easily be drawn out on the screen and sent to the shop if needed.

Those Panasonic Toughbooks look nice, but new they are 3x+ the cost and used ones have tiny hard drives and still command over $1k.

Any input?

I've set up a tx series tablet before, the touch screen isnt the best on the market but at that price you shouldnt expect it to be. For simple things like drawing out diagrams it will work what you need.

They do run pretty warm, and make sure your battery charger always has plenty of breathing room.

Also make sure you can live with a 12 inch screen especially if you'll be doing more traditional things with it, if you have to increase the font dpi to read a screen properly then you will run out of screen room quick.

As far as how well they last the one we have in operation for 3 months now hasnt had any issues, but thats only three months.

I've been working in my spare time on a sales presentation tool that uses the touch screen, and think there are lots of possibiltys but have not seen many speciality programs for this industry that use it, although anything you can do with a mouse you can do with the pen, so if you are dispatching from a laptop the pen is nicer then a trackpad.

Plus Mike Rowe is a spokesman!

From my limited experience in a store, the screen and pen seem to work pretty good. A nice digitizing pad runs around $200, and the one I wanted was $500... so there is a good chunk of the total price of this tablet PC.

I think the screen size is ideal because it is the size of a sheet of paper. Bigger might be better, but the next price point seems to be around $1400, and less computing power to boot.

I wanted to try MS Word with the pen, but the demo had expired on the store display. I need to find out if my Office XP will accept a pen input (I think it will).

No HP rec from me, they burned me once via customer service/ lack of support. The short version, they screwed me over with an 'in-warranty' product and I will never buy HP again.

Check out the Toshiba's, they make an excellent tablet.

Sometimes MicroCenter has refurbished Toshiba's with XP Pro.
    http://www.microcenter.com/

I had one thoughout school. If it was me, I would save the money and just buy a regular laptop.

The screen is smaller, the quality of images on the screen arent great (not that is really matters if its stricly buisess use)

Im waiting for APPLE to come out with a laptop that uses the same screen as the IPhone.

<---loves his Iphone!

I'd make sure that you're actually going to use the tablet functionality. I work in the computer field and almost everyone that has a tablet used the tablet features for a few weeks, maybe months. After that they used it as a laptop. In my opinion they're not worth it.

Thumbs up Tablets

Our company just bought 15 tablets with an intergrated software package. Tablets came from a company in Texas-called Explorer. Mobile software is called Techsoft or Collier mobile tech. The whole package is a bit expensive. We are having some battery issues, techs must make sure the put in the trucks mounting bracket if they are going to be on the call 2-3 hrs. The stylus work well with windows hand recognition software. Techs have mixed feelings, seems like the younger guys are having less problems, and our veteren techs are struggling a little. They do love the map feature, the access to manuels already preloaded, able to send sheet metal drawings back to the shop instantly. We are in Arizona and they defintly run hot, but haven't had any fail due to the heat.