Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Carrier vs Lennox vs Goodman

I find myself replacing a 15 year old Lennox Central A/C (upstairs and Down) 2 units for my home and it looks like the Carrier, Lennox and Goodman are my 3 choices. I would like a 14 Seer, 3 ton Unit but the Lennox and Carrier are very pricey. I heard that the Goodman had problems some years ago and that an ex-Carrier executive join them and really turned things around and now I am hearing some very good things, including a lower price.

A name brand is not that important to be, but reliability is. I have interviewed the installers and they are very professional and have been in the business for years and I would trust their work. The problem is which one to choose??

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, please advise.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by DBARTG View Post
    I find myself replacing a 15 year old Lennox Central A/C (upstairs and Down) 2 units for my home and it looks like the Carrier, Lennox and Goodman are my 3 choices. I would like a 14 Seer, 3 ton Unit but the Lennox and Carrier are very pricey. I heard that the Goodman had problems some years ago and that an ex-Carrier executive join them and really turned things around and now I am hearing some very good things, including a lower price.

A name brand is not that important to be, but reliability is. I have interviewed the installers and they are very professional and have been in the business for years and I would trust their work. The problem is which one to choose??

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, please advise.

Thanks...
    Lennox is over built and in a lot of areas of the country it is difficult for non-Lennox dealers to obtain warranty parts when the need arises.

Goodman never provided industry standard training for their dealers until here recently and even at that, they are still slower at giving as much training as the name brands just so they do not have to outlay the “expense” and that is the reason for their low pricing, very little dealer training, no advertising and wherever else they can cut to give that low price. If you want to conduct business with a company that cuts corners whenever they can, including dealer training, then that is your company to conduct business with.

Carrier on the other hand has the best system on the market with their Infinity series or the Evolution series which is sold under the Bryant Name. They are both the same item. The controller is patent protected with many patents in that one item, and nobody else in the industry can match it in function or innovation.

Interview several Carrier dealers and find one you are comfortable with and get the best system on the market for your house.

Other brands try to copy Carrier’s innovative patents by adding additional controls, but there is a reason they are the largest company, they are “the” leader in the industry and they spend more money than the others in research and development to provide the latest and greatest for the consumer.

usa

Quote Originally Posted by MadeinUSA View Post
    Lennox is over built and in a lot of areas of the country it is difficult for non-Lennox dealers to obtain warranty parts when the need arises.

Goodman never provided industry standard training for their dealers until here recently and even at that, they are still slower at giving as much training as the name brands just so they do not have to outlay the “expense” and that is the reason for their low pricing, very little dealer training, no advertising and wherever else they can cut to give that low price. If you want to conduct business with a company that cuts corners whenever they can, including dealer training, then that is your company to conduct business with.

Carrier on the other hand has the best system on the market with their Infinity series or the Evolution series which is sold under the Bryant Name. They are both the same item. The controller is patent protected with many patents in that one item, and nobody else in the industry can match it in function or innovation.

Interview several Carrier dealers and find one you are comfortable with and get the best system on the market for your house.

Other brands try to copy Carrier’s innovative patents by adding additional controls, but there is a reason they are the largest company, they are “the” leader in the industry and they spend more money than the others in research and development to provide the latest and greatest for the consumer.
    Alot of very good points !
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

If your looking for top of the line system control, go Carrier/Bryant.
    If your just looking for reliable operation, without a lot of bells and whistles, many other brands provide that also.

Choose your contractor wisely, and you will have a good reliable system.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-10-2008 at 09:08 AM.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

As noted, make your focus on the contractor more so then the brand of equipment.

Most of what has been stated about Goodman's methods of operation are fairly accurate. I would not give any credence to an ex-Carrier person turning anything around at Goodman though. The turning around of the way Goodman operates was a work in progress throughout the relatively short time that Goodman has been on the market.

Once a contractor has been found to be reputable and of a quality nature, then it is a matter of comparing features and benefits between the different models of the different brands. Things to compare are;

• Actual ARI rated efficiencies, not manufacturers model claim. Check the ARI rating for all of the system components that make up each particular finished system. This would include the outdoor unit and indoor coil for certain and maybe the indoor blower or furnace if a variable speed blower is a factor.
    • Refrigerants: many 14 SEER systems can be found in both R22 and R410a. The difference could be in the cost of future repairs if R22 goes through the roof in cost the way R12 did for automotive and some home refrigeration system.
    • Type of indoor blower. Variable speed blowers are more expensive but can provide a much better level of comfort when set up properly.
    • Warranties. Parts warranties are provided by the equipment manufacturer and labor warranties are provided by the contractor. Both are important gauges as to what possible future repairs may be costing you. Keep in mind that no matter what the quality of a system's components, unforeseen electrical issues can cause any components of any brands of equipment to fail prematurely.
    • If it is a major factor, sound levels. If your indoor or outdoor equipment are going to be located where there operating sounds are going to be easily heard, it would be good to look at quieter components. If your units are going to be in areas that are not close to living areas, then a few decibels aren't worth paying extra for.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If your looking for top of the line system control, go Carrier/Bryant.
    If your just looking for reliable operation, without a lot of bells and whistles, many other brands provide that also.

Just your contractor wisely, and you will have a good reliable system.
    I'm not that certain that most HOs truly know what they are looking for in system controls. That is where the HVAC sales professional needs to be able to properly get the consumer to a user friendly understanding of just what all of the new controls available can actually do....for them.

Many of the new system controls are for the benefit of the installer and the servicer; compressor monitors, diagnostic codes etc. Are these features really that important to the HO? While some manufacturers have put together really nice system control packages that control temperature, humidity and air volume for IAQ control, every system on the market is capable of being set up to do the same with specific additional controls. If a consumer does not need all of the features that are in a package of controls, is it not sometimes better to put together a pick list of ala-carte controls that suits the consumers specific needs?

The bottom line is that any quality HVAC company can provide most any control feature with most any brand of equipment.

I think thats what I said.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I think thats what I said.
    Yea, but you weren't long winded and overbearing about it

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Other controls will do a decent job,but aren't equal to Infinity/Evolution,which has direct control of the variable speed motors operation.Ask a dealer that handles them to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Yea, but you weren't long winded and overbearing about it
    LOL...
    Contractor locator map

Question Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I'm glad it's not in the middle of August with my A/c on the fritz.
    Which brings me to note of a comment by one of the contractors. He said that if it was in August or any other real hot period, they would charge extra for replacing my upstairs A/C unit (I have pull down steps for easy access) due to the heat.
    Is this an industry standard?

135* degree attics aren't fun. So yes, when it hotter out, more is charger for installing in an attic.

Some companies won't install attic equipment when its the hottest part of the summer.
    Contractor locator map

Then I'm glad it's in the 70's here. I appreciate the Carrier-Bryant advise. Even though the Lennox quote is a few hundred dollars less, my gut feeling is to pass on them. I am the original owner of the house and I paid extra to the builder to install the Lennox Pulse system with the electronic air filters, but over the past 15 yrs it's one thing after another with Lennox. I just looked over my repair history and spent approx 45% of the price of a new unit. Granted it was over a 15 year period but not sure if that is good, bad or average.

I'm in a good mid-west city area with a good choice of contractors. I checked the local BBB and they came up with satisfactory ratings. Next stop is to check with the Carrier-Bryant folks.
    I know I will have more questions...Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast