Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

I don't support Obama, but I think his religion, past or present, is not a big deal.

So what if he has an Islamic name and went to an Islamic school that wasn't even in the Middle East? Even if he was Muslim, does it matter? If I'm not mistaken, Islam is becoming extremely popular with black people around the world. It's not the same as electing an extremist Muslim from the Middle East. Islam isn’t all that different, you would even recognize a lot of people and stories (like Jesus, Mary, Moses, etc).

The customs and interpretations differ vastly within Islam as well. Are all Christian religions the same? You can go to two churches that read the same Bible and get two different interpretations.

And that controversial church he was attending is a very popular church. It isn't a surprise that he would pick a church that is popular with the black community, whether he agreed with it or not. I personally don't care what any candidate's religion is, what church they attend, etc. Religion and politics don't mix. It is Obama I disagree with, not his religion or his priest/minister/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by justinhvac View Post
    I don't support Obama, but I think his religion, past or present, is not a big deal.

So what if he has an Islamic name and went to an Islamic school that wasn't even in the Middle East? Even if he was Muslim, does it matter? If I'm not mistaken, Islam is becoming extremely popular with black people around the world. It's not the same as electing an extremist Muslim from the Middle East. Islam isn’t all that different, you would even recognize a lot of people and stories (like Jesus, Mary, Moses, etc).

The customs and interpretations differ vastly within Islam as well. Are all Christian religions the same? You can go to two churches that read the same Bible and get two different interpretations.

And that controversial church he was attending is a very popular church. It isn't a surprise that he would pick a church that is popular with the black community, whether he agreed with it or not. I personally don't care what any candidate's religion is, what church they attend, etc. Religion and politics don't mix. It is Obama I disagree with, not his religion or his priest/minister/whatever.
    So picking something even if you don't believe in it would be something desired in our future leader? I kind of think the whole package should be considered but like I said, decide for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    So picking something even if you don't believe in it would be something desired in our future leader? I kind of think the whole package should be considered but like I said, decide for yourself.
    I get what you're saying.

But a lot of African-Americans join afrocentric churchs, groups, etc. Same with other minorities. Culture is important to them, as it should be.

Obama has said he does not agree with everything his Church says or endorses, same with his pastor. His pastor is crazy, but that doesn't mean Obama is. Whether Obama is a racist... or just thinks that the Black culture is very important, should be protected, and Africa should be helped... is up to you to decide. You can't just go by several sources that make him look bad.

If I'm not mistaken, his church / pastor broke the law when they endorsed Obama... churches can't endorse a candidate, even indirectly.

What a candidate's religious beliefs are outside the office does not matter to me. If it matters to you, that is fine. We have the freedom to choose. Like I said, I dislike Obama for other reasons. He makes himself look bad enough, just like most other liberals

Maybe I just feel that way because I'm not very religious. I could see it mattering a lot more to a very religious person.

I'm not a 'very religious person' but, I personally feel Obama has been a major hypocrite concerning Rev. Wright. He has lied (documented) concerning hearing or knowing about the sermons in question. He used the Church when it suited him to distance himself from his muslim/islamic background. His own website stated that Rev. Wright was his 'spiritual mentor', his book, "Audacity of Hope" was named from a Rev. Wright sermon, Rev. Wright was part of his campaign staff--it just goes on and on, until the truth comes out about Rev. Wright. Then, Obama makes a speech, throws granny 'under the bus' but keeps the Rev. in the family. Most recently the Rev. goes all 'native' making us aware that his comments weren't taken out of context, we all heard exactly what he really meant and NOW, Obama 'disowns' him.
    Yeah.
    Originally we're told that Obama has been a member of this church for 20 years and that the Rev. Wright 'brought Christianity' to him. Now, NOW, we're told well, it wasn't quite that long and he wasn't aware of these types of sermons....etc...

Snow job. Pure and Simple. Rev. Wright most probably HAD it right when he stated that what Obama is saying now is purely politics and he has to say it.

And, it is not illegal for a church to promote a politician.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Illegal might be the wrong word.

Churches violate their tax-exempt status by promoting a candidate and engauging in politics.

The IRS letter to Obama's church:
    http://www.ucc.org/news/pdf/lettrirs...terstitialskip

And maybe I just haven't read up enough on Obama and the religion thing. I just didn't like his idea's and plan (or lack of one), so I haven't been following him much.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post

True but if and when they ever donate money to him then they could lose their tax exempt status as a charitable or religious institution.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Illegal might be the wrong word.

Churches violate their tax-exempt status by promoting a candidate and engauging in politics.

The IRS letter to Obama's church:
    http://www.ucc.org/news/pdf/lettrirs...terstitialskip
    Engaging in politics does not violate their tax-exempt status. Endorsing a candidate or party could though.

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    Engaging in politics does not violate their tax-exempt status. Endorsing a candidate or party could though.
    I thought they couldn't really get involved, endorse, donate money, pretty much anything with politics. You could be right. It's probably just endorsing and donating then.

Obama's church did endorse him I thought, which is why they may lose their tax exempt status.

I thought they couldn't really get involved, endorse, donate money, pretty much anything with politics. You could be right. It's probably just endorsing and donating then.

Obama's church did endorse him I thought, which is why they may lose their tax exempt status.
    Churches can take a position of issues, hand out voters guides that show candidate's positions, even lobby; they just have to stop short of giving money or endorsing a candidate.

It can be a fine line though.

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    Churches can take a position of issues, hand out voters guides that show candidate's positions, even lobby; they just have to stop short of giving money or endorsing a candidate.

It can be a fine line though.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Wasn't too sure about what was allowed.

Justin, maybe you are not aware of Islamic agenda. You are either Islam or you are dead.

They are NOT a religion of peace but of coerciveness.

Do a little study on Islam. Read the Quran. And for God's sake come to understand the video posted by the OP.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Ok I was wrong about Obama and his church. It is worse than I thought. I honestly didn't pay much attention to news about him. I didn't like him before this, and pretty much anything new about him I just glance over. I'm not hardcore into politics.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    Justin, maybe you are not aware of Islamic agenda. You are either Islam or you are dead.

They are NOT a religion of peace but of coerciveness.

Do a little study on Islam. Read the Quran. And for God's sake come to understand the video posted by the OP.
    lol. So you think all Muslims believe in violent Jihads? There are followers who believe it is a religion of peace, and followers who believe it is a religion of war/violence. Are all branches of Christianity the same? You can claim Christianity is a religion of war as well if you look at history, certain people, certain hatred groups, etc. To make a prejudice statement about an entire group is wrong.

I'm sure you will go on hating and believe whatever you want anyway.

I have read the Koran. And I have read the Bible. I believe in neither. And that video does not matter to me... no matter what he did / will do, there will be videos making him look bad and reasons to hate him. And not just because he is a crappy candidate.

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast