Confused HVAC Fire Damper Replacement/repair est.

I have a fire damper system that needs to be replaced/repaired. There are 6 dampers in a controlled boiler type room where the main hvac systems is housed. I need to get some explaination and also some expert advice on the pricing I have been quoted. Right now, to replace 3 dampers and inspect, replace the other 3 fusible links, I have an estimate of $Removed. the biggest issue is the tearing out the duct work and replacing it, Is this reasonable?
    Last edited by HeyBob; 05-08-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Removed pricing

Read the rules, no pricing here

Smile fire dampers

I can't help you with pricing , but every single fire damper situation that i have worked on always was installed with an access door for easy resetting/replacement of fusible link. i never saw a system that needed duct tearout to service the fd's. Cant u just cut in the abovementioned access doors & do the changeout????? regards , Jack

Sorry about putting the estimate in there. Basically the access panels are too small to get to the dampers to reset them or replace the fusible links. This install was done quite a while ago and looks to be bad work, but that is said and done. the duct work is sheet metal throughout. Question: Is it usual and regulated for a residential unit to have fire dampers?

Smile firedampers

I can only speak for my area about regulations(chicago & suburbs) that there are no such regs. For your problem with the fd's. I'd still consider getting a good tinnocker to open up your existing acc.panels ,replace the damper guts , and put in better accass doors , still cheaper than major ductwork , in my humble opinion. Jack

There are so many fire dampers installed incorrectly. Fire dampers should not be installed in the ductwork. They should be installed into a sleeve to which the ductwork is attached.

The idea being: If a fire occured and the ductwork collasped it would break away from the sleeve and leave the fire damper in place.

Here is how Ruskin say to do it. http://www.ruskin.com/catalog/servefile.aspx?id=1483

But all FD manufacturers reccommend the same. If the exisiting damper are not installed like this then maybe your contractor wants to do it right and that of course will cost you.

Doing things right costs less in the long run
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Is it resedential single dwelling, or a mulifamly unit.

If the access door is too small, I'd see if a bigger access could be installed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by rojacman View Post
    , but every single fire damper situation that i have worked on always was installed with an access door for easy resetting/replacement of fusible link. , Jack

Sorry to be blunt but. Ya Right
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam