Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Boswell is right on manuals from hobart you can't get them. I'm at a lose if it's doing that . If it is firing correctly for 3 days then stops could you gas valve be leaking by and and giving it a boom when it lights? What was the water leaking from? Could possibly the boiler be filled with scale over heating burner chamber I know I'm giving some strange what if's but I'm puzzled at what this units doing. I wish I had better advice.

Boswell It must be slow if Hobart lays off hate to hear you got laid off what area you in?
    Last edited by H-Tech; 05-25-2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: hit submit before I finished thought.

Update.....

Well, I was able to get a technical service manual from Vulcan, and thier tech support people are very helpful, that is if you can get through on the phone. After downloading and reading the manual I have a much better understanding as to the sequence of operation and proper setup and adjustments. As of Friday, I spent most of my afternoon babysitting the steamer by playing with the broken ignitor rod just to keep it going. As yet I havent addressed the continuous water dumping issue. But as I was babysittting, I noticed that after it cycled a few times the pressure went up to about 13+ and dumped, is that normal? Also, the guy I spoke to at Vulcan mentioned that when aligning the burner/spark, the insulator should protrude approx 1/4"-3/8" out of the nut, the spark gap should be .090-.0100" and something(I wasnt able to get clarification) should be in the 1-5 o'clock position, does this sound familiar to you?
    A lack of planning on your part does not constitute a state of emergency on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by generaltech1 View Post
    Well, I was able to get a technical service manual from Vulcan, and thier tech support people are very helpful, that is if you can get through on the phone. After downloading and reading the manual I have a much better understanding as to the sequence of operation and proper setup and adjustments. As of Friday, I spent most of my afternoon babysitting the steamer by playing with the broken ignitor rod just to keep it going. As yet I havent addressed the continuous water dumping issue. But as I was babysittting, I noticed that after it cycled a few times the pressure went up to about 13+ and dumped, is that normal? Also, the guy I spoke to at Vulcan mentioned that when aligning the burner/spark, the insulator should protrude approx 1/4"-3/8" out of the nut, the spark gap should be .090-.0100" and something(I wasnt able to get clarification) should be in the 1-5 o'clock position, does this sound familiar to you?
    generaltech,
    i have been following this thread,i was curious about the outcome.
    unfortunately i have no advice for you,i don't work on hot side equipment.
    is possible to e-mail me the link to that tech manual? i'm always looking to read and learn new things.
    e-mail is in my profile.
    thanks

If unit is dumping at 13.5 that would be normal due to the 13 psi pop-off valve. You will need to set cycle pressure switch down to shut unit off sooner.

did you get it going??

Hey H...

Im sorry that I havent gotten back to you on this, but let me give you an update. I have since replaced 2 additional flame rods, and I am still getting an intermittant roaring noise. As of late, Vulcan has been useless as tits on a bull! I have called and emailed them several times to no avail!
    The last flame rod that I replaced I set the spark gap at about .095, and all has been good so far, except for the intermittant roaring noise, which I cant seem to figure out why it does that. The head chef cornered me the other day to tell me that the roaring/rumbling was so loud one night that it was heard in the restaurant and it sounded as though the whole damn building was rumbling. I am considering replacing the gas valve, as I suspect that it may be malfunctioning intermittantly. I have checked supply and manifold pressures and they appear to be within spec, at the time. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Jerry
    A lack of planning on your part does not constitute a state of emergency on my part.

roaring

This unit should have a diffussor on the intake of the fan blower. I have seen them either dirty or need to be turned a little. I have had the flame rod be worn and give same harmonics. I think this unit has the ceramic sleeve on burner and if it has miss fired alot it could have busted it. I have had one of the vhx 24g roar so bad it scared the sh-t out of me. Worse case I have had same unit crack burner casting and look like a steam train with fire and soot blasting out stack. Sometimes you can rotate the location of L bend on flame rod by loosening nut and turning a little have to be careful or it won't pickup flame. Let me know if I can be any help.I These unit had some burner modifacation on them. Vulcan changed where the combustion approve switch picked up air from.

I dont know what to tell ya.....

I have changed out the whole flame rod/burner assy, set the spark gap within spec, and I still get the intermittant roaring, sometimes mild, other times very loud. Any ideas?

I know these things can be a pain ! I have to work on them every day. Did you tryy turning air defussor ring?

Turn the air diffuser ring? Im not sure what you mean by the air diffuser ring.

On the combustion blower motor

I havent been that far into it, dont really have the luxury of tearing it down as it is used most of the day and night. What I have seen is the view thru the combustion to the blower wheel, didnt see anything past the burner assy. Once i've removed the burner assy, the blower wheel is fully visible, and there didnt appear to be any type of diffuser. What does it look like?

send me your number and i give you a call to see If I can help more.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast