Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone

Has Anyone

Anyone heard of Career Training Institute in Huntsville Alabama for HVAC and Refridge training. Thinking about going. They train (hands on and text book) you for 28 days mon-sat. cost like 10 grand you take 3 EPA test. With job placement. The school here in town is 14 months for 1350 hrs cost less but no EPA test and no job placementto trying figure out which is better.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    $$$$$$$$$$$

Think I'll open a school....$$$$$$
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

you can take the EPA test for like 50$ at any local supply house. Just get the book and study it. 20$ Dam thats alot of money..... Now I started thist 13 years ago. I just went straight into the Union and did my apprenticeship. And I did not have to pay for it. It comes out of a training fund set up by the Union. I personally feel like 80% of what I have learned was in the field and the rest was bookwork.

I wish we had a union hear with that oppurtunity, but the great state of Florida is against industry and more for tourism. I was in a trucking union for 14yrs. and got hurt and now I need to start a new career (well ready for a change anyways.)

Will your injury effect working in attics.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by pcolaman View Post
    I wish we had a union hear with that oppurtunity, but the great state of Florida is against industry and more for tourism. I was in a trucking union for 14yrs. and got hurt and now I need to start a new career (well ready for a change anyways.)
    If you had to quit being a trucker because of an injury, I dont believe HVAC is the field you want to go into.

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    If you had to quit being a trucker because of an injury, I dont believe HVAC is the field you want to go into.
    I'll second that!

Anyway, I'm in Huntsville & have never heard of Career Training Institute. There is a real good training program in Huntsville called NARS, though.

Alabama power has a havc school, heard its pretty good. Beleive its a 1 week course for each subject.

Sounds like the same outfit that we have here in Dothan

10 grand for 30 days..
    What do you expect to learn in 30 days???
    I teach at the local community college & our program is 1.5 years long & we still don't have enough time to teach students everything that they need to know

As far as I am concerned, this is a crock....

Richard

hvac might not be the field you are looking for if you are already injured.

But about the training course... I couldn't imagine paying 10 grand for 30 days of training in any career field, not just hvac. Maybe its just me, but how much can you really learn about an industry in that short of a time period. You would still need to be trained and you already spent all that money. Think about how long it would take you to earn back that 10 grand. Not to mention, the job placement might not even be that good.

If you looked into every other option then I guess you have no choice. But I would really look around at other opportunities first.

And like someone else said... you can get a book for the EPA test for really cheap. That isn't a big deal.

Ive gone to school for:
    Electrical (completed a 5 year union apprenticeship)
    before I got into the union I went to a tech highschool, after I graduated I went back at night for more electrial classes

Then I went at night for HVAC

I also went for Welding 1,2 and 3 and am a PSEG certified Weldor when I was working down at Bergen Gen.

Fire 1 and 2 - cause im a volly firemen

I can honestly say that you cannot learn ANY trade in 30 days. Its a good introduction but you have to be in the feild to make this stuff sink in.

The only trade the 30 day crash course works well in is if you were an operating engineer, b/c that is how their school is set up, they have to make sure you know how to run the machine in school before you get out on the job.

I think you should spread out your schooling. I recommend taking a basic electricity class first.

Friday I worked on a 50 ton Carrier rooftop unit, 3 stories to the roof, no elevator, no isolation on suction side no helper.
    Tool bag- 30 lb.
    Recovery unit- 40 lb
    Recovery tank- 27 lbx3
    vacuum pump- 12 lb.
    Gauges- 5lbx2
    R-22- 30 lb eachx3
    4 ft. stepladder- 15 lb
    Nitrogen tank & regulator- 50 lb (hopefully no leaks)
    Oxy acetelyn torches- 30 lb. (hope tanks are full)

Got there at 7:30, fresh. Now its 4:30, and after 4 or five trips up the stairs for stuff I could have sworn WAS in my bag, it all has to come back down.

Wearing my new flash guard uniform, its 70+ deg.

If you think you can handle it with your injury... WELCOME ABOARD!

We dont drink...we rehydrate.

Ten G's for a month, ouch!

If you have any injury that causes you pain or limits your ability, HVAC will make it hurt a lot more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast