Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Input needed Company Tools and Personal Tools

What kind of Tool Policy is the Standard for the HVAC industry or the Company where you are presently working?
    1. If your company truck is broken into and both the company issued tools are stolen and some or all of your personal tools are stolen who is responsible.
    2. If you are using your own tools on a Job and you break it; who is responsible to replace the tool.
    3. If you are using a company tool on a Job and you break it; who is responsible to replace the tool.
    Any input pertaining to tools and how your company manages this would be appreciated.

I supply all tools and vehicles for my mechanics and demand that they respect each. stuff happens so get over it. This industry in my opinion is underpaid, and now owners want to beat their techs up for hand tools too?

Quote Originally Posted by Norton750 View Post
    What kind of Tool Policy is the Standard for the HVAC industry or the Company where you are presently working?
    1. If your company truck is broken into and both the company issued tools are stolen and some or all of your personal tools are stolen who is responsible.
    2. If you are using your own tools on a Job and you break it; who is responsible to replace the tool.
    3. If you are using a company tool on a Job and you break it; who is responsible to replace the tool.
    Any input pertaining to tools and how your company manages this would be appreciated.
    1) If the vehicle was on a jobsite and locked when the vehicle was broken into it is my opinion that the contractor should replace the tools. If the vehicle was open/unlocked shame on the technician.
    2) If the tool was being utilized in the correct manner (not using a wrench for a hammer) the contractor should at least assist the technician with this expense.
    3) The contractor should be responsible for any tool that they originally supplied unless the tool was maliciously damaged or not maintained.

I believe that contractors should create a tool allowance for each technician based on the number of calls a technician runs. This could be .50 per service call or whatever the contractor chooses. The tool allowance could have a maximum of $500 in it at any given time and when a tool breaks the technician can provide this to the employer for replacement. This will alleviate deception. The tool allowance could also help the technician purchase updated technology such as digital manifolds.

Most "real" hand tools are warrantied for life if they break.....stolen is a different issue. I feel if a tool is broken on the job, the contractor should replace with same tool provided broken tool is turned in. Stolen...outside of truck it's the tech's responsibility, inside locked truck contractor's responsibility with police report. JMO.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

If anyone carries some of their own tools they can be covered on a homeowners policy fairly cheap.
    When I worked for others mine were stolen once and the company covered it. But maybe because the van was on their property.
    Tracers work both ways.

(1) Me........that truck had better of been locked though!
    (2) Me
    (3) Me

Me=the guy you work for!

I replaced a $300.00 plus drill for one of my guys last winter. The one he used working for me was done!

Same as HeyBob, I'm pretty much responsible for any and everything on that truck at all times. There may be an exception for a B&E if the truck is locked but, I don't wanna find out.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

I supply all of my own tools....

If my truck is broken into on my property....I have insurance
    If my truck is broken into off my property....my employer has insurance

If my tools break, I make damned sure they have a lifetime warranty so it won't cost me a dime.

As far as tools that won't have a warranty for life...refer stuff for example....well....I but too much of that stuff anyway....for every tool I have on my truck....I have three more in my garage.
    I need a new signature.....

First company:
    1. As long as there is a list on file with the office with model and serial numbers of personal tools, company insurance pays for replacement.
    2. You do. Unless you can convence the manager otherwise.
    3. The company

Second company:
    1. The company, but they also provide everything except simple hand tools that go in your tool bag.
    2. The company
    3. The company
    Poor planning on your part doesn’t necessarily constitute an emergency on my part.

Everything on the truck belongs to my employer. If it breaks and was not abused they replace it. In case of theft the employer replaces everything unless the truck wasn't locked. A break-in with a unlocked truck spells deep do-do. Also no tools are allowed in the front cab, especially laptops. If the laptop was in the front cab when stolen you're looking at a suspension.

Shop I work for replaces all 3 even if the door is unlocked but it is still company policy to lock the door

BTW your an ahole if you dont lock the door anyway

My company supplies all tools. You need a meter? tell 'em. You need a wrench? tell 'em. You need a set of guages? ....

Kinda nice because I have all the tools I need in my basement. My boss told me to leave them there.

BTW your an ahole if you dont lock the door anyway[/QUOTE]

HAHA Yep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast