Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstorm View Post
    Were these minor issues with the unit or the install?
    Why Trane?
    Ya know, since a load calc wasn't performed during any of their walk-thru's, I don't know if a 2.5 ton would work or not!
    The issues were with the installs and were quick fixes. Most were leaking from the coils at the flare nut connections. I never liked that design, but they're not the only ones that use that, Goodman, Luxaire.....

Why Trane? It's a good unit. Never had to service one (not saying they're bulletproof) but it's a quality unit and not just a name. You can get parts easily. I know alot of techs around me complain about Yorks and the availabilty of parts or equipment. It's a good unit though. Everyone has they're little preferences and ones they install more than others. Me, I've installed alot of Comfortmakers. Only time I had to service one is when my in laws flooded the unit TWICE. Utility room was directly above it. Anyhow, it survived the first flood but blew the fuel valve second time. I installed a Comfortmaker furnace in my house. Good furnace, a little loud, but whatever.

I have no clue how your house is set up or anything so I can't say 3 ton is right or wrong and I won't. What I can say is that you need that calc done, and you should have it prior to accepting the bids JMHO. If you go with a unit that's too big you lose your eff rating and it will short cycle, meaning it will only run for a short period of time when it calls for cooling. You may have your stat in a bad place, who knows it's all speculation. A quality contractor will take in all the info of the entire system and will tell you problems that need to big fixed and will tell you PRIOR to accepting the bid. If something isn't on the bid that should be changed, he can and will charge you extra after they get there. A pretty bid sheet doesn't make a good contractor. His knowledge and willingness to share his info prior to acceptance makes him a good contractor.
    Jim

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    are there white pipes coming from the furnace? If so then it is a 90% furnace. Still even with your original furnace you would get great performance from a Comfort Series A/C. Now if you really wanted to be slick, you'd install a heat pump instead of an A/C, change your thermostat and rock the DUAL FUEL!!!
    Yes, there are white pipes.
    Comfort Series huh? I'm not familiar with that name.
    Since my wife would like to move in a few years, I can't see investing too much in a ultra high efficient system or an HP.

Many contractors are reluntant to list mod numbers, because customers sometimes give thos numbers to competitors, and say can you get this equipment and beat this number.
    Same thing with providing the actual load calc numbers.
    A lot of times, I'll guess at the size for the proposal, and run teh actual clalc after the contracts signed.
    If I guess at 2.5 tons. And the house needs 3 tons, the customer gets a 3 ton for alittle less then normal. If it comes out to 2 tons, they get a refund on the signed contract price.
    Doing a load calc and providing the customer with the complete info, tends to allow other companies bid against you wihtout having to pay for the additional time to do the load calc. A small amount of time is some ways. But, many jobs installs are done by the company that is just alittle cheaper.
    So I can't blame them for not doing the load cacl until the contract is signed.

Most of our suggestions on equipment is from our personal experiences with that equipment. Just because we have easy part availability for brand X, doesn't mean your contractors in your area do also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Bryant is UTC's second tier brand.
    York is the first tier brand of UPG, now owned by JCI.
    Both are good units. For any comparison to be made, models would have to be know, indoor and outdoor.

Hot and humid? Are you getting a VS blower for your indoor unit.
    I considered:

Trane XR13

Bryant Preferred Series 163A

York Affinity 3S Series & York Affinity 9.M Gas Furnace

I chose the York

I will replace the furnace after all since it will be cheaper to replace both units at the same time rather than separately. I am looking only at Single Stage units so I don't know if that includes a VS Blower.

The YM9M is a multispeed blower.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The YM9M is a multispeed blower.
    Well then, it is doing the job, because the humidity is now between 45% & 55%. I'm glad I stayed with the 3 ton, even tough the J Calc said it was closer to a 2 ton for 1500 feet.

As long as your satisfied.
    Although a 2.5 ton might keep it between 40 and 50%RH.
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12