Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Comments on Bryant & York A/C's

Well, I have in my hand, seven bids for a job to replace my central a/c unit. It is 15 years old this year but the compressor shot crap in Sept. 07. After talking to all the Reps and reviewing their proposals, I felt comfortable with 5 out of the 7 companies. I then, eliminated the highest and the lowest bids, which worked out well because I liked the 3 remaining companies the most. The brands: Trane, York & Bryant. I also looked at Goodman, Rheem, Amana, Carrier & Lennox with the other 4 companies.

I based my choices from researching the following criteria:

BBB Records
    ACCA.org
    ENERGY STAR
    NATE Certified
    FURNACE COMPARE
    HVAC-TALK (of course!)

The personality and the knowledge of the Rep/Installer was also important to me as well.

I am interested in purchasing an a/c unit with the following:

3 Ton
    13 Seer (I also looked at 14 & 15 Seer)
    R-410A
    A low dBA rating

My home is a 1500 SQ Ft (almost!) Raised Ranch with a Double Car Garage & Vinyl Siding. The basement is currently unfinished but will be soon.

Here is my question. I have heard a lot of comments about most of the brands mentioned above with the exception of York & Bryant. Could someone out there chime in on these two brands?

Thanks for your help!

I've had more calls on Bryant than York, but have been minor issuses, you won't really go wrong with either in my book. If it were me, I'd go with Trane or I really like Comfortmaker.
    3 ton for 1500 sq ft (almost)??????
    Who came up with the size and why?
    Jim

I don't know much about York or who there affiliated with, but Bryant goes with Carrier same equipment different name.

Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    I don't know much about York or who there affiliated with, but Bryant goes with Carrier same equipment different name.
    Luxaire is the same as York and they also make Coleman.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tinmarine View Post
    I've had more calls on Bryant than York, but have been minor issuses, you won't really go wrong with either in my book. If it were me, I'd go with Trane or I really like Comfortmaker.
    The SQ FT is 1480. If we finish the basement, we should be at 1680.
    I was told previous owner upgraded from a 2.5 ton to a 3 ton after only one year due to the hot and humid summer.

Quote Originally Posted by drumstorm View Post
    The SQ FT is 1480. If we finish the basement, we should be at 1680.
    I was told previous owner upgraded from a 2.5 ton to a 3 ton after only one year due to the hot and humid summer.
    I gotta ya. I'm curious if you have enough return air. Did the contractors do a heat calc on your home?
    Jim

Bryant is UTC's second tier brand.
    York is the first tier brand of UPG, now owned by JCI.
    Both are good units. For any comparison to be made, models would have to be know, indoor and outdoor.

Hot and humid? Are you getting a VS blower for your indoor unit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I gotta ya. I'm curious if you have enough return air. Did the contractors do a heat calc on your home?
    I do have return air ducts in every room except the bathrooms and the kitchen. No contractor performed a heat calc or a load calc (Manual J?) but three of them said they would a load calc if I accepted their bid.

Carrier comfort series sounds like it would fill the criteria. However I would go with the 13 seer puron simply because the 14 seer is special order (it is in our area) for the price point its loaded with "goodies" including a scroll compressor, compressor sound blanket (for noise reduction), pressure switches ( to protect your compressor in under or overcharge condition) and matched with a variable speed air handler or furnace you should be able to achieve pretty close to 14 seer.

I'm not replacing the furnace. It is still working. They all said it was a 90%??

are there white pipes coming from the furnace? If so then it is a 90% furnace. Still even with your original furnace you would get great performance from a Comfort Series A/C. Now if you really wanted to be slick, you'd install a heat pump instead of an A/C, change your thermostat and rock the DUAL FUEL!!!

Question

Were these minor issues with the unit or the install?
    Why Trane?
    Ya know, since a load calc wasn't performed during any of their walk-thru's, I don't know if a 2.5 ton would work or not!

Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    Carrier comfort series sounds like it would fill the criteria. However I would go with the 13 seer puron simply because the 14 seer is special order (it is in our area) for the price point its loaded with "goodies" including a scroll compressor, compressor sound blanket (for noise reduction), pressure switches ( to protect your compressor in under or overcharge condition) and matched with a variable speed air handler or furnace you should be able to achieve pretty close to 14 seer.
    Carrier must be the 1st tier. I did look at them but they were more money.
    I was told by them all that if you're not replacing the furnace, then 14 Seer and up would be of no benefit.
    The Bryant (Preferred Series) I looked at had a lot of the features mentioned above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast