Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up Geo-Thermal

Tell me how the Trane system is going to heat your DHW .With Geo you have the savings of being heated and cooled year round; with not much difference in heating your hot water for the home.The savings of that alone put the Geo far above air-to-air systems.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

They don't always provide enough hot water, so he still may need electric heating elements.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

To TWin08: I have a similar WaterFurnace unit as you're considering (in my case I have the 2 stage version, NDV038), with vertical wells (like you didn't have space for horiz loop), just installed 10 months ago, in Dallas area. The WF equipment is performing well. Am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Best regards,

Bill

I talked to my geo guy today. He again indicated that the 10 k.w. aux strips would be more than enough for back-up heat. He also said the heat load was calculated to be 57,210 BTU and the cooling load 37,424 BTU. Does the recommended 3.5 ton Envision (NSV042) sound right?

Again, thanks for the help. I'm leaning towards the Waterfurnace, just wanting to make sure!

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    They don't always provide enough hot water, so he still may need electric heating elements.
    True, but he can pre heat with the geo and it will take less energy to bring it up to temp, so he stills saves going with the geo. With the way most units run he'll never hear it run or feel it. No combustion so won't dry out the house or no monoxide worries.
    Jim

Ask teh Trane guy what his load calc came out to.
    Unless your set on the WF guy.
    Contractor locator map

Here are the load calcs from the trane estimate: Heating 46,202 BTU; Cooling 25,453

Again, the load calcs from the waterfurnace estimate: Heating 57,210 BTU;
    Cooling 37,424

I haven't had a chance to look into the reason for the difference in calculations, but the waterfurnace guy said he didn't assume any insulation in the basement walls (the basement probably won't be finished for at least 5 years), whereas the trane guy probably did.

Not sure why the Trane guy is using a 80,000 btu furnace, I can understand why he's using a 3 ton HP.

If the Trane guy is 30&#37; low on his cooling calc, the 3 ton would still handle teh load.
    If the WF guy is 30% high on his cooling load, you'll have humidity problems.

Your choice.
    Contractor locator map

The desuper heater should never be counted on as a main water heater. Its purpose is to supplement the main water heater be it gas, oil or electric. Two tanks are mandatory when using a fossil fuel for the water heating. Two tanks are reccomended when using electric to maximize the efficency of the desuper heater.
    Genius = The guy who can do anything...except make a living!

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Not sure why the Trane guy is using a 80,000 btu furnace, I can understand why he's using a 3 ton HP.

If the Trane guy is 30% low on his cooling calc, the 3 ton would still handle teh load.
    If the WF guy is 30% high on his cooling load, you'll have humidity problems.

Your choice.
    The 16i he is using is is two stage to. the 2-ton XL16i wouldn't cover it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12