Trane XL15i AC with variable fan motor

My installer tells me that my single stage 4 ton XL15i AC has a variable fan motor (2800 sq. ft., 2 story, new windows house in NJ). My Trane brochure indicates that the 15i does not have a variable fan motor (they come with the 16i). If the variable fan motor is present in my 15i and it is superior, I'm not sure why Trane would not list it as present in the brochure. (I also have an XV95 2-stage variable speed furnace).
    What is the benefit of having a variable AC fan motor on a 1 stage AC?
    Here is the info directly from the fan motor.
    Model: 4TTX5048A1000A
    Fan: D155080P08
    Motor: D154219P01
    ge ecm motors, 1/3 hp, 850/520 RPM
    model 5SME39HL HY71
    Thanks
    Key1

The motor on the 4TTX5048A1000A is a variable speed ECM motor utilized as a single speed motor. American Standard/Trane is not utilizing the motor as a variable speed motor and no speed change will be noticed.

The purpose of utilizing a variable speed ECM motor is to make the system electrically efficient and help increase the SEER rating. The wattage of this motor when utilized as a single speed motor is significantly less than that of a standard (PSC) motor utilized on other products

key

The XL15i is Trane's top of line single stage AC condenser. It is not variable speed.

However the XV95 two stg furnace does have a var speed blower motor.

You either misunderstood your installer or he told you something factually incorrect.

IMO

I wonder if it is an X13 motor?

No control board for it

Schematic shows it wires like an X13 too, wired hot with 24v control wire to turn it on & off.
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 05-05-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Are you saying that the motor is capable of running at 520 and 850 rpm but in the 15i it is only set up to run at 850?

Also, the SEER rating on the yellow energy star card states 14.25
    Do I actually get a higher seer rating because I have the variable speed blower? Or has the Seer of 14.25 already considered that it is a variable speed blower.

To determine the correct SEER rating of this equipment will require the model number of the indoor unit(air handler or furnace), outdoor unit(4TTX5048), and the indoor coil if this is a furnace application.

http://www.aridirectory.org

Here are the model numbers.
    What is the seer please?
    Thanks

AC 4TTX5048A1000

Gas furnace TUH2C100A9V4VA

Coil TE50660C210B2722AP, R410A TXV installed

Key

Quote Originally Posted by key1cc View Post
    Here are the model numbers.
    What is the seer please?
    Thanks

AC 4TTX5048A1000

Gas furnace TUH2C100A9V4VA

Coil TE50660C210B2722AP, R410A TXV installed

Key
    ARI Certificate Attached.
    Please note that this coil is not American Standard/Trane and is an ADP brand coil. I recommend the Trane aluminum coil which has a factory 10 year parts warranty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thaks for the Seer numbers.
    When I purchased the Trane system I thought everything was Trane.
    Did not realize I was getting a lower quality coil.
    My dealer included a 2 yr parts and labor warranty on coil, furnace, and AC.

I beleive I get a 10 year parts warranty.....I will check.

Key1

I have a similar motor

I have an old heat pump XL1400 Model TWY036B100A-1. It has a variable speed motor that is turning on and off. It is hooked straight to power and I guess the control board sends a signal to turn it on and off. There is always a 16 to 17 DC volt signal coming from the board even when it turns off. The AC volts very from 3 to 6 volts. What kind of signal controls the fan motor?

He should

Please note that this coil is not American Standard/Trane and is an ADP brand coil. I recommend the Trane aluminum coil which has a factory 10 year parts warranty.[/QUOTE]

check with his contractor. We use alot of Aspen coils with Trane equipment to get SEER/EER ratings. Trane realized most of their coils did not meet tax credit requirements, so they paired up with Aspen. They even painted the cabinets the Trane color. When they did this, it carries the same warranty as a Trane coil.