Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

30 Days to HVAC Glory

Those ads crack me up! I went to tech school for two years, believed all the crap that the instructors fed me, "After you're done with this program, you'll be able to work on anything." Maybe work on anytjing, just not fix anything.
    The field is not like a laboratory setting, there are a lot of other variables- weather, complex control systems, irate customers. A solid HVAC education is good in that it provides you with a foundation from which to build your career. But there is no beating "The School of Hard Knocks".

Thirty days to cover the width and breadth of HVAC theory and practice seems ridiculously short. I don't know how they could successfully impart lasting knowledge in such a short period of time; especially to an individual with limited or no electromechanical experience. It makes no sense. Although I have seen residential HVAC companies in this area advertising the same thing- "30 Days to a New Career- Regardless of Background!" Once again, I don't know how they can do it. Maybe that's why so many companies are condemnning whole systems when there might be but a minor problem. I guess sales is what counts.

Seriously though, I would have grave reservations about such a short program, especially if you are really serious about becoming an HVAC tradesman.
    See, the human mind is kind of like... a piñata. When it breaks open, there's a lot of surprises inside. Once you get the piñata perspective, you see that losing your mind can be a peak experience. ~Jane Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonianite View Post
    Those ads crack me up! I went to tech school for two years, believed all the crap that the instructors fed me, "After you're done with this program, you'll be able to work on anything." Maybe work on anytjing, just not fix anything.
    The field is not like a laboratory setting, there are a lot of other variables- weather, complex control systems, irate customers. A solid HVAC education is good in that it provides you with a foundation from which to build your career. But there is no beating "The School of Hard Knocks".

Thirty days to cover the width and breadth of HVAC theory and practice seems ridiculously short. I don't know how they could successfully impart lasting knowledge in such a short period of time; especially to an individual with limited or no electromechanical experience. It makes no sense. Although I have seen residential HVAC companies in this area advertising the same thing- "30 Days to a New Career- Regardless of Background!" Once again, I don't know how they can do it. Maybe that's why so many companies are condemnning whole systems when there might be but a minor problem. I guess sales is what counts.

Seriously though, I would have grave reservations about such a short program, especially if you are really serious about becoming an HVAC tradesman.
    Ok 2 Ohioans within 30 miles of each other that makes it official. 13 years and the school of hard knocks is still leaving bruises (on my brain that is) almost daily.
    "It's always controls"

Make it 3 buckeyes in a row.30 days?NO WAY!I went through an apprenticeship for 5 years and just scratched the surface.That's what I love about this trade....the more I learn,the more I realize that I don't know.
    Go RCR!

Theres a guy at my company who did that course. He seems to be working out pretty well. Course he spent a couple decades as a machninst, so he had some mechanical skills coming in.

BTW, I think they go thru 3 years of RSES reefer courses in that 30 days. He said it was pretty intense.
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Quote Originally Posted by cg2 View Post
    Theres a guy at my company who did that course. He seems to be working out pretty well. Course he spent a couple decades as a machninst, so he had some mechanical skills coming in.

BTW, I think they go thru 3 years of RSES reefer courses in that 30 days. He said it was pretty intense.
    I just find it hard to be humanly possible to absorb that much information and be able to use it in 30 days without a lot of prior skills. Mechanical skills do great for mechanical I would like to see how they do when it gets technical.
    "It's always controls"

I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon and say that you need to save your money. Get a job as a helper, get enrolled in an apprentice program, or spend that money going to a much cheaper junior college to study refrigeration (where you'll learn it at a much more reasonable pace). My UA apprentice director told me that I'd learn about 10% of what I needed to know at the school and 90% of it from journeymen on the job. I think that 10% was being a bit generous, mind you.

Not sure what part of Georgia you are in (Georgia, right?) but I know if you are close to Atlanta, Dekalb Tech has a real good HVAC/R program. It's actually in Clarkston...used to do classes Tuesday and Thursday nights, but that was a thousand compressors ago....

As someone who has trained hundreds both OJT and College level I can say that in 30 days I can teach you the words used in the trade, a fairly solid understanding of the basic refrigeration system, and perhaps DC theory as far as electrical goes.

You will remain lost when it comes to AC theory, the function of most refrigeration accessories, virtually lost when it comes to air flow, will never broach variable speed drives. In fact, it might take me 30 days to list what you would know NOTHING about.

In 30 days you could be trained to be a fair residential installer of SIMPLE systems, That would require 30 days FIELD experience.

Ask yourself if it sounds too good to be true...30 days room and board with laundry services plus 8 hours of training for 10k?

Note this is NOT an accredited school, that is why they tell you they have companies willing to finance you, they do not qualify for federal school loans. What you will wind up with is something like HFC on a rule 7/8ths with a HUGE interest rate that is paid the first 1/8 of the loan with no chance of a fast payoff and it will cost you more like 25k by end of term might even broach 50k before it is over.

Run Forest, RUN!!

You cant learn enough in 30 days to get started. I takes time for this stuff to sink in.

Duane

Quote Originally Posted by Duanesz View Post
    You cant learn enough in 30 days to get started. I takes time for this stuff to sink in.

Duane
    Once it sinks in how do you keep it from oozing out.
    "It's always controls"

10g's for 30 days of anything.....not worth it. this is a trade not a job.

your best bet is to whip out phone book and find a co. that offers ojt.. and study anything you can get your hands on

I have lived and worked the Huntsvlle area for 28 yrs and have never heard of them and don't know anyone here who did.got my training from the local union but mostly from very very long nites.

It took Twilli 6 years of course Twilli was doing a 5-10 stretch at the time
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast